pics of my farm at work

DPH

first we tear down the levees after harvest.

100_9793.jpg

100_9794.jpg

then we disk down the ruts with the [glow=red,2,300]9270[/glow] and [glow=red,2,300]stx 375hd[/glow] for those of you who can't recognise your steigers....cough(Cape Cod Farmer)......cough(smurf) ha ha!. 

100_9795.jpg

100_9796.jpg

100_9797.jpg

100_9798.jpg

why do you use levees in your fields then?, i thought they were used to prevent flooding unless breached near water features, as in the recent floods in New Orleans?. Just curious as i dont think our farmers use them here in the UK??

No i don't think this is numpty worthy YET.  The levees are used to hold water in the different parts of the field.  Rice has to grow in a flooded field.  What we do is divide the field into curved cuts, each one lower than the first.  This allows us to put the well caps at the top cut and let the water flow to the downward cuts to flood the field.  and the levees hold the water in each cut.  Also, to flood and entire field without levees would be too hard, considering you would have to keep the levels of water at the same height at all ends.  so having the field divided by levees makes monitoring water levels easier too.  Hope that explains it.

cheers, that explains it better!!.

Sorry Nath, i was just curious!!!, only rice farming i knew about was when at school and the land was always flooded! (Asia etc.and they never told us about levees...do they use them over there too?). Its informative to find out how other people do it!