John Deere 4020 Tractor with AFWD

What is AFWD?

Is it assisted front wheel drive?

It doesn't seem like too common a term to use, would Hydraulic front wheel assist have been a better term ???

Have I got the wrong end of the stick?

The term AFWD refers to the system Active Four Wheel Drive. Would anyone have a brochure of this to correctly describe and explain the system?

How does that differ from MFWD or HFWD?

as i understand it MFWD was mechanical front wheel drive and HFWD hydraulic front wheel drive i maybe wrong but the HFWD was only fitted to a Deeres for a while in the UK not a very good system my uncle had a 3130 HFWD on demo at high revs the front wheels would spin like crazy

AFWD must be a U.S. term as ive never come across it before

as i understand it MFWD was mechanical front wheel drive and HFWD hydraulic front wheel drive i maybe wrong but the HFWD was only fitted to a Deeres for a while in the UK not a very good system my uncle had a 3130 HFWD on demo at high revs the front wheels would spin like crazy

AFWD must be a U.S. term as ive never come across it before

Thanks :), that was my understanding and i've seen the 4020 with HFWD so I assumed AFWD is HFWD. I typed "AFWD + Tractor" into google and all I got was references to the Britains model...so it doesn't seem to common a term at all, I'm puzzled.

jdc, I don't understand why FWD would be in that term? :-\

Did they used to call the hydraulic front wheel drive "assisted" ??  I think that might be perhaps what the A stands for. ???

I'm pretty certain you are right as My uncle had a later version with that type of four wheel drive. Unfortunately it wasn't very successful as when you lost traction on a front wheel, all the drive went to that one making it spin wildly as it was driven hydraulically. When this happened the four wheel drive became ineffective. It assisted as it wasn't positively mechanically linked.

As far as i rember AFWD is the proper name for HFWD, it is just something that you would use when you are truly in the $hit, My farther inlaws 4240 has AFWD, and he said you never use it longer than 5 mins and never at more than half revs, when you do it spins the wheels far to fast( as mentioned) and it frys oild seals and stufs up basicly, was a good paper idea but crap in reality, I have been told the best thing to do with them is take them of, chuck it way and put on a real 2wd axle as it wont fry your hydrolic pumps

Aha, I think you guys have found the answer, that system sounds completely rubbish, shame, it'd probably work nowadays with some complex electronics.

Just another thing waiting to go wrong there, it could be done easliy today i recon, touque senser in the gear box, pressue vales for the flow control and some excvator type final drives and i recon you would have a good 4wd with teh 2wd turning radius and stil be reliable,

I could be totaly wrong with saying that also :-\

A couple of years ago the local John Deere dealer just a few miles from me were having problems with some of the new models they were selling, cant recall the models, not being into them, but the problem was that they were scuffing out front tyres in a matter of months rather than years and they had great difficulty in finding out the cause. To make a long story short, the outcome was, as I suspected when I heard of it, was that they fitted the wrong transfer gear in the factory and the front wheels were trying to go faster than the back wheels. Even the big boys get it wrong sometimes.

I believe the Americans refer to any 4wd system with smaller front wheels as Four or Front wheel drive ASSIST, hence the A or "assisted four wheel drive" due to the inability to transfer full traction to the front wheels due to slippage through the diff etc & at this time of night I'm not going into all the technical attempts to alleviate this such as Ltd slip diffs, torque-biasing axles etc. :)