Scratchbuilt Claas Drum Mower.

Here is something that I have been having a go at over the last few evenings.

Used to have one of these mowers several years ago, so that is what I based this one on.

Used the parts book for reference but have taken no measurements, just done it by eye and hope that it has turned out roughly to scale. Very fiddely to construct and took a lot of head scratching.

Made it out of my favourite, plasticard. Iv'e made it so it will swing to working mode and transport. Not quite finished yet as I have to make the drums and discs but all is in-hand. Could be a Claas WM20 or WM22. Hope you like the end result!  :)

ClaasMower01.jpg

ClaasMower02.jpg

ClaasMower03.jpg

ClaasMower04.jpg

It's a beauty - even the welds look authentic.  ;)

Funny you should mention the 'welds'. Seems like some superglues have that effect on some plastics, when it dries it seems to shrink slightly ruccling up, if thats the right word.  :-\

Very smart conversion here powerrabbit. You have made a real cracker of a model   ;D  How long did it take to make this little beauty ?

Hav'nt realy counted up the time but I suppose about 12 or 14 hours in total but not quite finished yet, dics and drums to make up and fit.

I think Iv'e pretty well finished it now, just completed fitting the drums and disks, also added the stand and the hook on the headstock to hang the bar to change the blades. I suppose that now Iv'e gone this far I ought to make the blade bar, it's only a straight bit of flat with a right angled finger on one end.

FinishedMower1.jpg

FinishedMower2.jpg

You've sussed it. Yes the skirt is made from duck tape. Saw it in my minds eye and thought it would be suitable for the job and would not need glueing, just foded it over on itself leaving just enough sticky edge to attach it underneath the hood around the outer lip and I must say that it does have the desired effect. Iv'e now made a blade changing bar, painted red and drilled a tiny hole in it and hung it on the hook on the headstock where it's supposed to go, I'll post a pic if you want.

This duck tape I think would also be good to make anything that requires a 'fabric' finish like a tarpaulin, cover for a fertalizer spreader, lorry curtain sides, silage trailer rear curtain etc. I've seen it in blue, red, yelow, grey, silver and green and it seems to have that textured look of fabric sheeting. Perhaps this last comment should be placed under the 'model hints and tips' section.  :-\

That looks really good. Just one thing though.. what about the blades? :)

Blades are on. Although I have known some people go mowing without putting blades on and after a couple of acres wonder why the mower won't cut!  ::)

BladesOn.jpg

I think Iv'e gone as far as I can with this one now. Just finished making up and fitting the bed float spring and levelling arm mechanism, fiddely little job but I consider this mower build to be finished now. Going to have to think of some other implement or machinery to construct now, the thinking cap is on.

Mower.jpg

finished model is great!!.....please dont build any more....there too good!! ;D ;D ;D

whats 'era' implements are you thinking of ???:-\

Has to be between the 1960's and 1980's preferably but any era would be ok as long as it is reasonably easy to construct, I'm only an amature at this model building lark and would be totally out of my depth if I had to work from plans, I like to do it from memory and possibly the only aid would be a hand book or parts list book (with pictures to go on) as this to me is a bit more of a challenge.  8)

Has to be between the 1960's and 1980's preferably but any era would be ok as long as it is reasonably easy to construct, I'm only an amature at this model building lark and would be totally out of my depth if I had to work from plans, I like to do it from memory and possibly the only aid would be a hand book or parts list book (with pictures to go on) as this to me is a bit more of a challenge.  8)

no an amature is myself, this is 200% better!!! ;D ;D

Blades are on. Although I have known some people go mowing without putting blades on and after a couple of acres wonder why the mower won't cut!  ::)

BladesOn.jpg

It took that long?!!! :D

Mower looks great now! More please...

Takes a long time, can't get the staff nowadays Richo!. Don't think there are any more angles of this one left to photograph now, pretty well covered it I think.  ;)