Britains farming German style

• 2 weeks later...

Looking very good its nice to see models in an environment that does them justice where do you get all your coffee "soil" from? and do you have to do anything to it before you put it on your displays?

Regards Nick

regarding the coffee powder - just drink and collect. Then in the oven and drying at 50° Celsius ...

regarding the real soil - go to a real field just after plowing/harrowing (in the winter after frost - then there are no small animals in the upper soil) and collect some clods of rather clean, homogen soil. Breaking the soil in smaller pieces and have a look that there are no living things in the soil at home and in the oven, drying at 200° Celsius to make sure that no bacteria, microscopic animals and so on can live in the soil. Then webbing the soil and take apart different sizes of little soild clods. And then rins the soil on the diorama ecactly in the right size according to what is happening on the diorama. Finally spraying some brown colour on the areas which have to look like soil which has just been worked on (looking darker due to moisture). That's it.

Coffee powder dioramas take around one hour to create, real soil dioramas a whole long winter evening ...

I found most British drink instant coffee so there's a slight problem there  ::) .

In most tractor workshops/sheds there's always plenty of dusty light soil to be found. Or on top of a power harrow or drill for instance. Easy to collect and doesn't need to go in the oven.

As Sean said, coffee is great, i've seen bags of used coffee at a local starbucks ;D ;D ;D ;D , they gave it away free for composting. If you ask they may still do it or keep it behind for you to collect??

how old is that crane? i did'nt know you could get one.

how hold? What you mean? Regarding the real digger shown on the last picture, at least 20 years. The model is a conversion obtained from Ebay for 30 Euro; I think is is based on a SIKU 1:50 scale digger (???).

Christmas brought me the UH Fendt with row crop wheels delivered from the factory in that state via WITOMO. Reason enough to create a new diorama to re-create an old dio. Here is the result, which is meant to show fertilazing and row cultivating of young bush bean plants:

gIMG_9221.jpg

gIMG_9223.jpg

gIMG_9225.jpg

gIMG_9234.jpg

gIMG_9237.jpg

gIMG_9240.jpg

gIMG_9243.jpg

Another Christmas present for me was the Ford 7000. Due to the snowy weather during the last weeks and having witnessed the loading of carrots in spite of snow and ice, the idea evolved of creating such a snowy carrot loading scene. Until the fitting UH Ford with frontloader ordered from Dave Towse will be in my hands (for the root bucket visible on one picture), I have used my rear digger for uncovering the clamp. The clamp conceives of the "carrots", plastic cover, soil cover and a layer of "snow". Here are some pics of the new scene ...

fIMG_9244.jpg

fIMG_9248.jpg

fIMG_9250.jpg

fIMG_9252.jpg

fIMG_9253.jpg

fIMG_9254.jpg

Thanks for the comment.

As my attempt to create little winter coats for the two workers in right scale failed, at least I gave them longer sleeves and/or lang-sleeve underwear by brush stroke plus winter scarf made of real cotton wool using an old black T-shirt. Here are the results:

eIMG_9290.jpg

eIMG_9293.jpg

eIMG_9294.jpg

Just for comparison the corresponding harvesting scene also presumed to take place in the 1980s - harvesting carrots and topping the crops "in golden November weather" ...

eIMG_9295.jpg

eIMG_9297.jpg

eIMG_9300.jpg

eIMG_9301.jpg

• Like 1

• 6 years later...