FORD 5000 (NEW TYPE)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its the surplus JD 4020s which are going to pile up in my workshop ! ;)

Britains always wondered why the 4020 was such a runaway success. They never realised that most of them were bought to be scrapped for the front wheels.

Hello.

It looks very good with a steerable axle!I was thinking if you were to take the ford axle and drill out the to half axles on it and make your own stubs coudent that work this way you wont have to spend so much on buying 4020s and you will keep the orignal axles look you should experment with the old axle. ;D ;D :D

You are right DB 1410.

I can make plenty of them but making for a reasonable price is going to be the hard part because I haven't got access to tractors at low enough prices to start with.

Price-wise at the moment is the cost of the 2 tractors and then I won't make any money unless someone suddenly finds a use for the JD chassis and rears.

I need to be buying them all at trade to make them viable.

I will experiment with the Ford axle and see how it goes but the JD axle is very good and its a very quick conversion .There are plenty of the rear wheels around which is a good thing though.

Surely RC2 could do this easily enough,they have the moulds for the axle and the wheels .

Would it be possible I'm wondering, if any of you that do moulding, to cast the axle of the 5000 in it's original form and drill out the king-pin shafts and add make an 'L' to form the king-pins and stub axles from wire, re-fit the wheels and connect them with a wire type drag-link? Would this be more viable than buying two tractors as there would be less 'waste' as it were. I'm sure it's possible. Just a thought.

Super job - vast improvement :)

Britains of old used to change and modify tractors,eg linkage, steering etc. I wonder if seeing this they'll think again or is that just wishful thinking ::)

Did you have to split the casting to change axles or does it open up enough to do the job ???

I think the new fronts are too big.

100_4712.jpg

The front wheels are the same as the ones we can expect to see on the 7000. They are the right size for the 7000. 5000's came out of the factory on 7.50x16's and the 7000 on 7.50x 18's. Don't know why the 7000 had bigger front wheels apart from the fact that it may have had something to do with the size of the rears which were 14x34's (Nominal size)

Britains are using this size of wheel to avoid having to make two sizes of wheel for the different models.

I don't particularly see a problem with the wheels really, but I'm not too happy with the "Gawky" front axle. ::)

The final 7000 may just have larger profile tyres on the same wheels to raise it a little as I believe the real 7000 was on larger size tyres and woud have stood a little higher than the 5000.

I actually split the tractor to remove the old axle.

I then removed the mounting point nearest the rear of the tractor on the ford.

I then fixed the axle with the one remaining point and a pin through the rear part.

Its very hard to describe it without confusing you ! :-[

I have now confused myself ! :(

The best thing to do is just strip it apart and have a look.

Its possible but the JD 4wd axle is the pneumatic drive type I think.

The John Deere experts on here will correct me if I am wrong.

I tried an old tw20 front axle but then you go back to the old way of steering .

try a uh front axel mate??? most os the smaller mc's should do it i would say, try a  mc95 ;) ;) front axel of that has many  uses  ;)