FB's Barns

FB

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

cheers guys, as i said i dont have as much time to spend on it thats why its taken so long, i thought it would only take a few weekends!.

will paint the frame a grey or red colour then clad with silver grey half way then green the rest

Very nice looking framework there, good on you. I know what you mean with the detail, if it's hidden there seems little point but it does make it pleasing to make I am sure. Mine just needs some of that steel core rod from EMA along with the roofing sheets and some cladding made up but I reckon it's going to be pay day before that is ordered. M next shed I think will be an open fronted single pitch shed for machinery etc. A fully kitted workshop woud be nice too and maybe even a drier shed with removable roof to expose the Alvin Blanch batch drier, elevators and bins .. .  just contradicted myself on the detail then!!

• 2 months later...

probably as far as i want to for now :D :D. I have built it to be extended though in the future if you can see from the purlins and the way its fixed together ??? ???. The purlins are individual and sit on half of each roof beam so another can be put next to it etc.. Similar to the side rails, they are fixed inside the verticals

That's happened me before! make one post get Sever not found, do it again and hey presto iy appears twice....Sorry!

Or maybe FBs shed is soo good it's worth saying it twice...

its that good you can post it twice! :D

FB Looks good, I would'nt agree with your comments about your ability. It's one well detailed structure ;)

cheers Smallclaas!!! :) :) :) :), i thought i'd never give it a go to be honest,i needed the confidence and kick up the ass!!!, but when you get started you cant really stop!,

Most of the knowledge in gluing etc. though has come from here really, and working in the construction industry helps with the finite detail. Probably to much detail as it will be covered but its there none the less  :) :)

Well Done Ben, great stuff mate, great end result, pleased and proud with that i bet ? :)

cheers Barry,

yeah so far i'm happy :) :)!, still a lot to do though and trying to find the time isnt always easy....i should be there now working on it, not on here! :D :D

will be happy when its finished so i can plan another! :) :) ::)

But the hard yards are behind you now Ben and the best bit is in front of you, the finishing touches are always the best (well for me anyway) as you can see what you are trying to achieve, if that makes sense.

Structure looks superb from here anyway.

Its a lot harder than it looks too or have you found the whole project easy ?

But the hard yards are behind you now Ben and the best bit is in front of you, the finishing touches are always the best (well for me anyway) as you can see what you are trying to achieve, if that makes sense.

Structure looks superb from here anyway.

Its a lot harder than it looks too or have you found the whole project easy ?

if i said it was easy i would be telling porky pies!!! :) :) :)

It would help though having a good area to work in, like Markys garage!, as you have good light, space and the tools etc...and regular coffee!!. I cut my first bay on the dining table using that jig in the first photos (which will be made again properly next time ;D) and kind of made it up as i went along. I did try and plan it out first to be honest, i knew roughly the sizes i wanted to use from visual methods (looking at structures), and posting questions on here.

Only used a small hobby knife to cut the material as well, now i use a hobby saw. I tried to base it on a barn near to me but also use my working knowledge to put the finite details in, like the bracing, sectional purlins and stiffening plates....may not do all of that next time though! ???:-\ :-:) :)