The beginning of my shed . .

Deere-est

Here are the first two spans of a shed I am making from scratch. I'ts not to scale perfectly, from the inside of each leg it measures 18inches, height to guttering will be 6inches, to apex is 9inches. I based it around an MF 7200 to get these dimensions. To jelp strengthen the joints I have cut out small sections from a Britains farmyard gate (this surely counts as a conversion??!!). The picture of materials shows (R - L): I beam (bought in error,will use for dryer shed??). I beam for this shed, angle for hanging sides, bar for diagonals in end bays and downpipe tubing. I have bolser wood to use as precast concrete panels and corrugated paper for roof/side sheeting. Strengthened with bolser. I hope to make it 20 - 24 inches in length but depends on materials.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have you took a look at my shed in down at smurfs in your model farms

if you use the propper glue you shouldnt need strengthners so long as you make sound joints

I would sugest building the barn onto a base board makes it alot eisier

drill shallow holes for uprights then assemble in situ as per the real thing

build one bay first with the diagonals and just keep adding a bay at a time

saves all the hasle with trying to keep things square

hope this is of some help

smurf

Cool. Thanks for that Smurf. I will dig around for a bit of board and see what we come up with. So far A drew a span on the work bench, kinda like a 2D jig then cut each piece according to that. What glue do you use because the plastic is quite soft and the Revel stuff I have is being a bit vicious to it. Gona go find your post now then time to leave the computor alone for the night!!

Im full of useless model building stuff

done train layouts  model aeroplanes  dolls houses and barn of one description or annother

pleased to help were i can with tips  if i know them

Yeah Smurf,I had seen your post before but had forgot who was the author. Hell of a build mind, it does look the absoloute mut's nut's as a perfect scale model. I'm not sure how much detail I got to, probably not as much as the roof purlings like you have. Very impressed, better go get some more of this plastic building stuff!! Oh, one tip. . . corrugated sheeting look-a-like. I have corugated paper to use but it seems a little to big a profile. What do you use, is that 4D website that someone said the place to go?

Yeah Smurf,I had seen your post before but had forgot who was the author. Hell of a build mind, it does look the absoloute mut's nut's as a perfect scale model. I'm not sure how much detail I got to, probably not as much as the roof purlings like you have. Very impressed, better go get some more of this plastic building stuff!! Oh, one tip. . . corrugated sheeting look-a-like. I have corugated paper to use but it seems a little to big a profile. What do you use, is that 4D website that someone said the place to go?

That has toi be the word / phrase of the day!  :D :D :D :D

• 2 weeks later...

Gradually getting there. By no means perfect but I'm learning as I go!!!

Couple of pics of the first bay being half done, spans and concrete (balser) panels in place. Third pic is just a close up to show how I have fixed the panels in place, blue-tac (THE SAVIOOOOOUUUR!!!) to hold it in situ while it glues, then added angle for further contact area and realism.

that plastic stuff used for supports and corners. is it expensive.

I bought a few 1 m strippes of hard wood to build a gate a few weeks ago. nearly ?2 just for one. was only 5mm.

i want to build a few barns, but don't want to spend a fortune.

Can the Britains barn sets be addapted or joined together?

To be honest it is really, well it has been for me conidering the cock ups I have mae along the way!! A pack of 4 7.9mm Plastruct I beams cost me 4.25 from Antics in Bristol. They are about 50cms long and I have used 8 pieces (2 packets) so far, including waste. I think next time I may only build the end spans as they are more likely to be seen if both ends are left open. If the shed is roofed and cladded the rest of it isnt seen anyway really. Smurf is the one in the know, I'm sure he will post here during the week.

Smurf has a contact for a firm with a catalogue which is mentioned somewhere, fb has the details for them.

or if you try 4d modelshop, they have good stuff at reasonable prices, I use the evergreen stuff at present.

:)

i think it was ema fp,on his barn one,i just got mine and it's full of stuff

with reguards the barns structure,i have been using balsa wood struts and it's pretty strong stuff with bracing,and a whole lot cheaper,just got 10 strips of 5mm x 10mm for a barm cost 3 quid,not as if it's going to be heavly played with afterall

its depends on the sizes you use and the amount of detail.

I have a similar size barn but have haunching, purlins and wind bracing which takes up alot of pieces.

i'll get you a cost of what i use and get from my local store and see how it compares to internet/catalogue prices as i would prefer to get it in bulk as the guy only has a few of each and doesnt always order it in!

try the links on here

www.ukmodelshops.co.uk

and look for EMA (use seach engine)

also try www.hobbies.uk.com

• 1 month later...

Work on my open span shed has been slow of late but a few bits and bobs have turned up in the last day so roofing and cladding may comence soon. Meanwhile I have started the Scaloox shed which will be an old open fronted milking/stall type shed which most farms now use for smaller implements, logs, discarded wellies etc etc!!

I laid out the ends flat on my board to see where the piece's fitted and then built them up layer by layer. One end I have changed slightly as you will see to accomodate a doorway. One end is complete, the other end has a few layers left of the doorway but the top beam and blocks to the right are not glued, just in situ to give you an idea. Once the ends are done I will build symetrically from each corner but I won't join it in the middle, this is so I can lengthen the shed at a later date if I feel like it.