Leakey Vale in its new home

Leakeyvale

Trackside Scenics Rough Grass.  Just started to experiment with it.  Think it is Trackside but the pack is in the hobby house and I am not going out in the dark to find for sure.

No Its GAUGEMASTER rough grass.  Comes as a mat approx 8 x 10in.  One length of the long side torn off approx half inch wide streched with careful handling to nearly 24in to make the track edges

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eeeeeeeeeeeexcellent!!!! Farm rides now too, eh? All you need now is one of them three wheeled icecream bicycles with an umbrella and your geared out for everyone!!  :)

I do have an ice-cream seller but he has a tray.  Like the idea of the bicycle though.  Brings back memories.

Stunning Sue... need to talk to you about kits too...starting to look at buying some in for the shop :)

If you find anything interesting....

I forgot to say these horses now have reins.  All the driven horses are being fitted with them - adds to the reality.  I broke open an old printer cable and found it contained reams of multicoloured plastic coated wire which is very thin.  Some are black, black/grey or black/brown and are ideal for the job being firm enough to handle and bend but not too stiff.  Plastic coating also means no damage to the models.  All that came from trying to build a wire tree - the wire was not suitable for that task.

• 3 weeks later...

Leakey Vale is in its big display cabinets and getting ready for Bursledon.  What a shame it is the same day as Toytrac!

The old Wreck is now on a trailer having just been brought up to the forge where George Watson, the resident mechanical wizard, is working.  Robbie Siku III has had a hair colour change and grown a beard.

post-1227-132638659245_thumb.jpg

That is a seriously good display of your models in a very realistic setting Sue. I am glad to see you are experimenting with different types of ground cover, it?s surprising how much there is out there to try. I like the tractor parade, it?s the 27N that does it for me. I like the cart giving rides as well.  I have the same model in my loft but with a green body, red wheels and white horses. It is in a very much played with condition and doesn?t have a driver or its original box. I had it for my fourth birthday in 1948.

I will look it out and take a photo or two of it. I suppose things like this are collectable today.

Tamiya do a 1/35 scale kit of two German soldiers on bicycles might be worth a look.  I am  using the bikes (modified) on Two Sisters farm.

That is a seriously good display of your models in a very realistic setting Sue. I am glad to see you are experimenting with different types of ground cover, it?s surprising how much there is out there to try. I like the tractor parade, it?s the 27N that does it for me. I like the cart giving rides as well.  I have the same model in my loft but with a green body, red wheels and white horses. It is in a very much played with condition and doesn?t have a driver or its original box. I had it for my fourth birthday in 1948.

I will look it out and take a photo or two of it. I suppose things like this are collectable today.

Tamiya do a 1/35 scale kit of two German soldiers on bicycles might be worth a look.  I am  using the bikes (modified) on Two Sisters farm.

The driver of the cart is an old Britains tractor/dump rake driver that came with some other bits.  The seating inside is made of balsa.  The cart itself is a repaint which is why the colour is different.  I generally don't go for repaints but that was an early birthday present from my husband so I am not being precious about it.  In original, paint worn, condition they are fetching up to ?140 on eBay and other auctions although you can pick them up at toyfairs for about 1/2 that price.  I beileve that white horses are rare but Mandy could probably give the full sp on that as I am no expert on Britains.

As for the ground cover - that is covering the joints as LV is built on bases (that have their own lids) 30 x 60 cms with a ledger around for the lids.  Originally the modules were stacked as I did not have space to lay them all out.  I must admit I like the rough grass.  It is just laid on top at the moment but I am planning to get some more and do a "proper" job.

p1010021wq6.jpg

p1010022xf3.jpg

p1010023kj6.jpg

Here is the wagon which I recovered from the loft.  It is standing under the tree, which still needs a bit more foliage adding, but I don?t want to overdo it. It is mostly Woodland Scenics dark green fine leaf foliage, with a few bits and pieces I had in stock.

In the background are some other bits I found. They are the fat farmer, some fencing and a pig and its sty, all Britains items as far as I know. I am going to have another rummage to see what else I can find.

Here is the wagon which I recovered from the loft.  It is standing under the tree, which still needs a bit more foliage adding, but I don?t want to overdo it. It is mostly Woodland Scenics dark green fine leaf foliage, with a few bits and pieces I had in stock.

In the background are some other bits I found. They are the fat farmer, some fencing and a pig and its sty, all Britains items as far as I know. I am going to have another rummage to see what else I can find.

Wagon is nice and I love the horses.  Fat farmer is Britains I beleive - I have one too. Never mind the condition unless they have lost 60% of the paint I would not even consider repainting them.  No one really notices the loss of colour and it just adds to the effect in my opinion.

I wish I had kept all my original farm bits which were a mix of Britains, Timpo, Johillco, Taylor etc but I gave them away when I was about 11 or 12.  I did keep my Bayko Building kit, though, which is what most of my buildings are made from.

Very nice display LV (and broadoak)

The white horses were rarer but I don't think they command much more than the standard brown ones.

The other bits in your pic broadoak aren't Britains. The farmer is probably Johillco.

:)

A good example of a grey/white horse usually sells for around ?12 if that's any help.

Many thanks for  the information (TBF and Holly) I always assumed everything was Britains. I don?t intend displaying the wagon on the layout, it?s a little too large. I?ll probably put it back in the loft.

Oh no, not the loft!  If it's not right for the display put in in a cabinet on view - it is too good to be hidden away.

No Sue you are right I shall put the wagon and horses on a shelf which has tractors on in my railway room. The tractors will be out with Two Sister?s Farm earning a living cultivating and so on at a few model railway exhibitions next year.

That's better.  I am sure the horses will be much happier there!

Further searching has produced this Britains 4 furrow plough wrapped in a newspaper dated 1994. It was hidden in a box of odds and ends. The Fordson 27N, my favourite tractor, that is supposed to be pulling it, is actually a Scaledown kit that I made about ten years ago. Would a tractor pull that type of plough? I don?t think the 27N would be able to pull a four furrow plough in the heavy Lincolnshire soil, which is where Two Sisters is supposed to be situated.

p1010025kr2.jpg

p1010026to4.jpg

Further searching has produced this Britains 4 furrow plough wrapped in a newspaper dated 1994. It was hidden in a box of odds and ends. The Fordson 27N, my favourite tractor, that is supposed to be pulling it, is actually a Scaledown kit that I made about ten years ago. Would a tractor pull that type of plough? I don?t think the 27N would be able to pull a four furrow plough in the heavy Lincolnshire soil, which is where Two Sisters is supposed to be situated.

I hope the Fordson and Plough are going to join the rest on a shelf and not be returned to the loft.  I have a modern Britains 4-blade plough when they were recasting some of the old models.  Although somewhat finer in detail I think the old ones have a charm of their own.

The Fordson will tour with the layout but the plough will go on the shelf with the horses and their cart.

I?ve glued the tree in position now and as an added bit of security have got a thin copper wire running round a branch and through the back scene. It can?t be seen from the viewing side and is also hidden by foliage. I am worried that when the layout goes to shows in my car the tree might topple over, the wire and glue should prevent this.

I?ve been sprinkling on some tiny foliage bits and dripping a very dilute pva glue on them, it makes sure the foliage stays in place when the layout is moved. When everything is totally dry I might spray the tree with a cheap hair lacquer as added security, I can?t decide. I need to do a test piece first.