Leakey Vale in its new home

Leakeyvale

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Fordson will tour with the layout but the plough will go on the shelf with the horses and their cart.

I?ve glued the tree in position now and as an added bit of security have got a thin copper wire running round a branch and through the back scene. It can?t be seen from the viewing side and is also hidden by foliage. I am worried that when the layout goes to shows in my car the tree might topple over, the wire and glue should prevent this.

I?ve been sprinkling on some tiny foliage bits and dripping a very dilute pva glue on them, it makes sure the foliage stays in place when the layout is moved. When everything is totally dry I might spray the tree with a cheap hair lacquer as added security, I can?t decide. I need to do a test piece first.

When I take LV out (all in situ) I use circles of foam.  I bought a HUGE sheet of 1/2 foam and cut it into strips of varying heights.  These are stapled into circles (I am thinking of using plastic paperclips instead to give flexibilty) and are placed around any moveable items

My husband calls them my swimming pools but they work

• 1 month later...

Fantastic as ever Sue... is that jeep the little one you showed me when I visited ???

Sure is with a visiting dignitary being shown around (with girlfriend in the back).  Has to be a visitor - he is wearing a white suit - on a farm?

Potential sponsor perhaps.

• 4 years later...

Well Leakey Vale Heritage Park has changed somewhat over the years. In response to a request here are some pics of the reincarnated Heritage Park

The forge has not changed much but the Dairy has been completely rebuilt. The stableyard and field are new(ish) - photos of the stableyard are through the lid of the box which is why they may be slightly fuzzed.

post-1145-0-36407600-1329577829_thumb.jppost-1145-0-64541700-1329577833_thumb.jppost-1145-0-57201400-1329577835_thumb.jppost-1145-0-70104700-1329577837_thumb.jppost-1145-0-85989200-1329577839_thumb.jppost-1145-0-24368400-1329577842_thumb.jppost-1145-0-34003200-1329577844_thumb.jp

Some nice Britains figures there Sue; the two Farmer's Gigs, Suffolk mare & foal, and 'furry hoof' cart horse. Your hen run netting is useful stuff. Where do you get it from? (a wool shop? craft shop?) Would I be correct in assuming you have a lot more figures in your collection than just these in the displays? (You might like to PM me the answer to that)

Edited by david_scrivener

I like the idea of using different scales to represent distance 8)

It is a Railway modellers trick to create perspective in the background. I do need to revamp it as it is not quite right

Some nice Britains figures there Sue; the two Farmer's Gigs, Suffolk mare & foal, and 'furry hoof' cart horse. Your hen run netting is useful stuff. Where do you get it from? (a wool shop? craft shop?) Would I be correct in assuming you have a lot more figures in your collection than just these in the displays? (You might like to PM me the answer to that)

The two gigs are from different eras - the one in front is post-war but the one behind is pre-war and is not only finer but has more detail. . I love both of them and one has a picnic basket which I have never seen in any book on Britains except for listing of a smaller version in the Lilliput range (I have that one too)

The chicken netting is plasterers scrim which is used to join plasterboard. Quite useful as it is sticky backed and to keep it firm I put some clear plastic in some of the sections. The posts are bamboo skewers.

As for the last question the answer is yes, I am revamping my displays so have a lot of the figures, animals, fencing etc in boxes (Really Useful Boxes are really useful). Also I have excess tractors and horsedrawn equipment in glass fronted display cabinets (2 of them). I think I have approx 900+ pieces but have not counted them recently!

really wonderful displays Sue! there is soo much detail , i had to check out the pictures twice as i missed a few things... love the hen house!

I had a Metcalfe kit for an OO scale henhouse so I made a 1:32 version with a few amendments based on thatt