cook bale sledge

started this the other day but ran out of material so i couldnt do any mor to it untill today when i got some more

this is not like the flat 8 bale sledge because this one holds 3 bales on the bottom and then another 3 on top like this ===

first of all here is the rather poor quality picture that i have been working from witch was taken about 8 years ago

img010.jpg

and here is what it looked like this morning followed by a few pics of how it works

as you can see i still need to find some wheels for it

100_0544.jpg

100_0545.jpg

100_0546.jpg

100_0547.jpg

100_0548.jpg

100_0549.jpg

100_0550.jpg

100_0551.jpg

100_0552.jpg

100_0553.jpg

and this is what it looked like by the end of the afternoon

100_0555.jpg

100_0556.jpg

if any one has any info on how the gate at the back works or any pictures of it please let me know as i havent got a clue

I can't say as I've ever seen one like that. I've always wanted to build a Browns flat eight sledge and have thought about trying to build one using welding rods for the tubing, soldered or brazed together. 1/16th and 1/8th welding rods should do the job. It would get a bit intricate doing the latches for the positioning of the bales and the release catch...................Hmmm!!!!  ;):)

We had one similar years ago but it had 4 flat 2x2 with 4 on top - it worked similar to a browns sledge but just on the top row of bales.

The four would go in the bottom, then the first in the top. When the second bale from the top went in it would push an arm  which allowed another arm to position for the last bale. This arm would operate the latch. Its actually still in the scrap heap ;);D

I used one of these years ago, in fact, only scrapped it last week as it was rusted out. The model being constructed here is pretty well spot on, terrific. If I can be so bold, there were two wheels just behind the second upright, the ones forward of the rear gate that fitted on for transport, hard rubber tyred with a fixed shaft in each wheel that slid into a tube on the sledge frame and held on by means of a linch-pin through the wheel shaft. The tail-gate released the bales when it was full automaticly when the last bale went into it, the way this worked was by means of a rod that pivoted on the top rail bar above the tail-gate and was held forward by a spring atached to the side of the frame. the bar was pushed back when the back top bale was pushed against it by the last one of the six that came out the baler, can't remember how it was linked but this release rod lifted two latches each side at the bottom rear and the tailgate raised, or was it hinged one side and there was only one latch? Can't recall but worked something in that fashion.

As regards re-stacking for the 'Perry Loader', Cooks had a loader to go with the sledge as part of the set of equipment, this loader picked up the bales the way the sledge left them, similar principal to the Perry but seem to remember there were some sort of spring tine arrangement that opened upwards and held the bales to take to the trailer.

A friend had one that I think was  called the "Double Four", they had the grab too for the loader, definitely COOKS. I've got sales brochures in a safe place...somewhere.. :)::) They went over to flat 8 system after that, and that's how I remember that they had to have a slighty wider built sledge to take bales from their WELGER baler, a recognised essential for them apparently.