Timber Trailer Log ???

MDFord

I like the old Britains Timber Trailer and was wondering about the original log that came with it. Looking at various ones for sale some of the logs look like they've just been pruned of a tree in someones garden.

Was the original log wood or maybe plastic ???

If anyones got a pukka example please could you post a pic  :)

In all the pics i've seen it does look real, never had one though to look at. I'm sure it was mentioned in the old F&S once??

Mandy, Susan or other members of experienced age may be able to help.......i'm gonna get shot for that! :D :D

In all the pics i've seen it does look real, never had one though to look at. I'm sure it was mentioned in the old F&S once??

Mandy, Susan or other members of experienced age may be able to help.......i'm gonna get shot for that! :D :D

If I were you, Ben I'd go in hiding right now >:(

;)

Age has nothing to do with it - cannot find a Shooting Smiley but I really don't care, the very best wines are mature ones.  

I never had a timber/log wagon as a child although I had plenty of other items (why did I give it all away?) but a gentleman of 80+ brought one to loan to me when I was at a two day Modelex with LV.  It was an original that he had as a child in the 30's and had a wooden log of rather large proportions with it.  He said he lost the original and he did say it was real wood.  

I now have a timber trailer of my very own that I bought a couple of years ago and the seller claimed it was the original log which is a piece of a branch with very fine grain bark.  The wood is extremely dry and consequently very light about 1.1/2 in diameter. It certainly looks right, feels right but I am no expert on Britains just a collector of old pieces that I like.  

All three of the Britains Log Trailers I have in my collection came with a real wood log.  Looking at the wood it seems simliar to apple wood.  Perhaps Britains got the prunings from an orchard to utilise as the load.

Thanks for all the info ladies + gents. Any pics would be greatly appreciated :)

BTW, roughly how much would one cost and what are the 3 variants, I presume green one earliest and I've also seen a white & orange one.

Picture of mine. Not vey clear, sorry.  The 3rd horse in front does not belong but Leakey Vale prefers not to overwork its horses.

As to cost - I have seen them going on eBay for ?150.00 but I admit to getting mine a lot cheaper at ?76.00, probably because the others had already gone at ?150.00.  Horses are complete with linkages, trailer has its pins etc. No box, but I do not collect boxes.  Others may have a a better idea.

post-1227-132638643578_thumb.jpg

Blimey Sue (hope thats right) that looks an old one.

I've only ever seen I guess 60's ish ones with rubber tyre wheels -  Thanks for the pic :)

I'd like to see the other versions if anyone can show them please.

Blimey Sue (hope thats right) that looks an old one.

I've only ever seen I guess 60's ish ones with rubber tyre wheels -  Thanks for the pic :)

I'd like to see the other versions if anyone can show them please.

I bought it as 1950's

Yes I am Sue!

First released, as mentioned elsewere, in 1928 and deleted in 1960 with a break in production during the 40's. Early versions came with what is called the "fur hoofed" horse. As the '58-9 catalogue states "supplied complete with real log". Also available in green.

Tractor version differs by having rubber tyres on metal hubs and a drawbar hitch, latter versions had plastic hubs.

Last type was an all new metal and plastic casting with ackerman steering and these too came with a real log. :)

I was just going to say that the last of the pre-ackerman steered ones had elastic band log retainers and corresponding notches under the cross beams + the raised lugs to prevent the log rolling off and lo & behold you posted the pic. I have a smokey- blue framed one aswell like some of the clockwork trailers.

Thanks for those pics 1972f !  You haven't got one of the late orange/white ones to show have you ;)

What a lovely old catalogue that 1965 one is :o  wish you could still buy solid English made gear like that. Look at the prices  Timber Trailer 7/6 ,before my time but is that 25 - 30 pence in todays money :o

Back when I was a kid I remember the local toyshop had the Britains stuff in a large glass fronted cabinet and you had to get the shop assistant to unlock and take out the item you wanted to look at / buy.

There's a story to how I got this model - 30 years ago, almost to the day. My father had a hatred of traffic lights, and as he drove down back streets to avoid one particular set of traffic lights, I spotted this model in the window of a small corner shop.

It's funny the things you remember!  8)

The log is original, even if it has been artistically "enhanced".  ::)

DSC00346.jpg

DSC00349.jpg

DSC00354.jpg

DSC00357.jpg

Here's the box it lives in, with lots of other stuff from that era.

DSC00361.jpg

Thanks for those pics 1972f !  You haven't got one of the late orange/white ones to show have you ;)

What a lovely old catalogue that 1965 one is :o  wish you could still buy solid English made gear like that. Look at the prices  Timber Trailer 7/6 ,before my time but is that 25 - 30 pence in todays money :o

Back when I was a kid I remember the local toyshop had the Britains stuff in a large glass fronted cabinet and you had to get the shop assistant to unlock and take out the item you wanted to look at / buy.

7/6 went a long way in the 60's.  Prior to Lesney bringing out Matchbox in the 50's no lead toys were cheap and certainly not "pocket money" toys.  I know I am showing my age but my cousin and I used to drool over the toys in our local shop.  Dinky and Corgi cost from 1/6 to 3/6 and I received 6p a week, so the cheapest would be 3 weeks pocket money. 

My grandparents bought me my original farm set and my grandfather built a cowshed, stable and kennel of wood and made the base with a mirror for a pond in the middle.  I loved it and eagerly awaited birthdays for additions. I gave away the entire collection when I was about 11.  Fool!

This topic has opened my eyes.  I was more than happy with my "1950" timber trailer and now I find it is 20 years older.  I have said before I am no expert, just a collector of things I like.  Thank goodness I was led to FTF.  What a mine of information and such lovely people.  :-*  :-*

There's a story to how I got this model - 30 years ago, almost to the day. My father had a hatred of traffic lights, and as he drove down back streets to avoid one particular set of traffic lights, I spotted this model in the window of a small corner shop.

It's funny the things you remember!   8)

The log is original, even if it has been artistically "enhanced".  ::)

Thanks for those pics SPN ;D

Remembering back to when you got childhood Britains models like that certanly makes them irreplacable doesn't it. And what a lovely item that is too, I'd really like to acquire one of those one day!

Oh and thanks for showing me what the proper Britains log should look like, just watch out for the woodworm mate

7/6 went a long way in the 60's.  Prior to Lesney bringing out Matchbox in the 50's no lead toys were cheap and certainly not "pocket money" toys.  I know I am showing my age but my cousin and I used to drool over the toys in our local shop.  Dinky and Corgi cost from 1/6 to 3/6 and I received 6p a week, so the cheapest would be 3 weeks pocket money. 

My grandparents bought me my original farm set and my grandfather built a cowshed, stable and kennel of wood and made the base with a mirror for a pond in the middle.  I loved it and eagerly awaited birthdays for additions. I gave away the entire collection when I was about 11.   Fool!

This topic has opened my eyes.  I was more than happy with my "1950" timber trailer and now I find it is 20 years older.  I have said before I am no expert, just a collector of things I like.  Thank goodness I was led to FTF.  What a mine of information and such lovely people.  :-*  :-*

I'm glad I found the forum too Sue (mrs MDF isnt as pleased ::)there is always someone on FTF who can answer any question about farm models and make you smile.

Regarding the price of the old models originally, I spose money was probably tighter for a lot of folks back then compared to today, so in real terms they probably were more expensive to buy, if you see what I mean.

I'm glad I found the forum too Sue (mrs MDF isnt as pleased ::)there is always someone on FTF who can answer any question about farm models and make you smile.

Regarding the price of the old models originally, I spose money was probably tighter for a lot of folks back then compared to today, so in real terms they probably were more expensive to buy, if you see what I mean.

Smile is right!  Lovely bunch.

Money certainly was tight - war had not long ended, jobs were scarce and food rationing was still in force until around 1953.  Everything was expensive so whatever we had by way of toys were treasured as there was no instant replacement.

Before anyone comments I was VERY young in the 50's!