Two Sister?s Farm

Tellarian

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made a start on the basic ground cover using a material we use at work for absorbing oil spills on the track. It is similar to a very coarse sand and looks effective when mixed with  Woodland Scenics www.bachmann.co.uk scatter material. You could use silver sand as an alternative. Your local model shop will have a selection of scatter material for you to choose from. You need several different colours ideally and to mix them at random. If just one colour is used you end up with all your grass and vegetation looking like a bowling green. I like to build up the ground cover in several thin layers, I think it looks more realistic doing it this way. Firstly brush on a coat of PVA  over the area you want to cover with vegetation doing a small area at a time. You can thin the glue with water if it helps. Then while the glue is still wet sprinkle your scatter materials over it as evenly as you can varying the colours as you do so. A tea strainer or flour sieve are a useful device for spreading scatter materials. A water atomizer ( The thing they spray indoor plants with) is useful for giving the area glued an extra damping with water to which a drop of washing up liquid has been added to ensure all the particles are thoroughly stuck. When dry check that you are happy with the colour and texture, if not add more glue and scatter until you get the desired effect.

A company called Noch  www.noch.com also make a range of scenic materials, have a browse to give you an idea of what is available.

p1010005ow6.jpg

By way of a change I have been doing a little work on my rail truck. Nothing is available off the shelf in 1/32 scale to run on my narrow gauge railway. So I?ve had to invent something that could have been used. One railway did in fact use buses and cars as cheap locomotives. So I thought why not Two sisters Farm.

The Truck is an Italeri kit of an Opel Blitz truck in 1/35 scale. It runs on a switcher chassis that I had in stock. To make the truck fit the chassis meant cutting out the centre of the truck and then building it up around the switcher chassis. The tarpaulin in the back is hiding the electric motor and flywheel. I painted the truck body with Humbrol flat colours, red cab, green body and bauxite colour chassis. Then when dry I picked out the metal work on the dropsied body in a rust colour varying the shade with a touch of black. Again I let this dry thoroughly before washing the whole thing all over with a watery black, brownish wash, use water colour for this then if you don?t like it you can simply wash it off with clean water. Use a little washing up liquid in the water it makes the dirty colour wash cover better. This runs into all the crevices and shows up the details better. When dry get an old brush and flick a light grey colour over parts of the chassis to make them stand out. The brush must be really dry when you gently brush it over the model, practice on some scrap material first. Dry brushing ruins brushes so don?t use a good one for it, anything cheap will do.

I?m still adding little details to the truck, like chains and ropes. It will be used to take fuel etc out to the tractors working in the fields.

p1010002js4.jpg

This picture shows the rail truck with two figures, both are German soldiers who need work to make them look like civilians. In the background is the start of the potato chitting greenhouse. This was also used to grow tomatoes in when not being used for chitting. Behind the truck is a balsa wood loading dock and next to it the brick base for a storage barn.

I?m glad you like the truck, I am making another one based this time on a Canadian Cheverolet. This one is much shorter so I?m having problems hiding the electric motor. I?m sure I?ll sort something out eventually.

The brick base for the green house is actually a 1/35 Tamiya Brick Wall Set  (No 28) in their Military Minatures series.  It is a very useful kit and at around ?3 pretty cheap.

That's just gorgeous... funnily enough I was just talking to my Dad this evening (he's a model railway fan) about combining a railway layout with Holly Farm :-\

Leakey Vale was originally a working tramway as a Transport Heritage Park with a farm diorama as a small part.  That was scapped by my husband when he lost interest but...

Adding working railway to a farm layout just has to be the right move if you have the space (and patience). 

This one is just Brilliant

Thanks for your comments Leakyvale, I can?t help with the patience bit but I may have an answer if you are short of space. Try modelling in a smaller scale. See my thread in Real Farm Talk- Farm Buildings-OO scale Farm Buildings. It could be the answer to those with little space.

Have a look CheshireRailwayModellers - On line model railway club under virtual exhibition. There are layout of all sizes from large to really small, it may give you some ideas. My own layout Is by Peter Marshall and is called Colonel?s Crossing and Benson.

There are a couple of tractors shown as well as the trains.

...Try modelling in a smaller scale. See my thread in Real Farm Talk- Farm Buildings-OO scale Farm Buildings. It could be the answer to those with little space...

As yes, but Leakey Vale was designed to show off my collection of Britains etc so a smaller scale is not really possible without starting from scratch!  LV is 22 square feet but started at 3!  Still growing but I have a cunning plan....  keep some in cabinets and move them around

I wasn?t thinking of you leakyvale downsizing, I think you are in too deep. Like your website by the way, the models look really good in realistic settings. The idea of a 1/32 scale heritage park is inspired.

The OO stuff is for folks who maybe don?t have much room at all. A small farm is better than nothing surely.

I wasn?t thinking of you leakyvale downsizing, I think you are in too deep. Like your website by the way, the models look really good in realistic settings. The idea of a 1/32 scale heritage park is inspired.

The OO stuff is for folks who maybe don?t have much room at all. A small farm is better than nothing surely.

Thanks for the kind comments. 

The Heritage Park idea came from my husband's original transport museum with the working tramway - that was in 0 scale (1:43). 

The idea just remained until the collection of Britains etc grew and needed a diorama.  With old figures it made sense to let it run.

I agree with the comment about space - using a smaller scale gives more scope to let the imagination run. 

p1010003ux6.jpg

A view showing the layout from above, this shows just how small the layout really is. It is only 38? long and 15? wide. That is why the buildings are what we call low relief, in that they are very shallow, this is not so noticeable when viewed square on at the front.

The buildings are top left, engine shed made from kit bashed Britain?s barn, next to it a wall at the base of storage barn, then a loading dock made of balsa wood. To the right of the dock is a greenhouse, I think I?ll model this when it is growing tomatoes, a bit more interesting than boxes of chitting potatoes. Next to that is the main barn also kit bashed from the Britain?s barn kit. I?m experimenting with paint and textures on this as it is made of asbestos. This will be used a store and workshop, where the tractors are repaired and serviced. Bottom left is the foreman?s hut, made of balsa wood. As you can see none of the buildings are anywhere near finished. I will also need to make a water tank, and a coaling stage for my steam engine and fuel tank for my diesel locos.

The ground cover is still being put on in layers to give a depth and texture to the vegetation.

I?m experimenting with sisal string, dyeing it and using it to represent tall weeds.

p1010004pg5.jpg

This view looking the other way shows the entrance to the fiddle yard  disguised by an over bridge. The foreman?s hut still needs a roof and door adding. The nice thing about this scale is you can add lots of small details to make the scene come to life. However there is much to do before I get to that stage.

Hi David I am afraid none of the Fordsons are for sale as I will need them all when the layout is exhibited next year. The first time being at Crewe Heritage Centre on 27th January 2008.

The models are all Scaledown kits and are available from www.Farmmodels co.uk who I think  carry the complete range. With care they make up into very good models.

p1010001gt3.jpg

p1010002xv3.jpg

p1010003wp6.jpg

p1010004dw8.jpg

I?m experimenting again, making a tree this time as none are available commercially. I?ve used multi core telephone wire for the basic shape and am covering it with strips of kitchen towel glued on with pva. It?s an ongoing project, I?ll give more info on it later.

Perhaps one of you can help me, who made the MF135 in the photos? The pictures show it with and without its cab, but I think it looks better without. There are no makers marks or names at all on the model which I have had in my collection for some time. It?s probably a little late for my early fifties period but if I assumed the railway was still working in the early 60?s I think I could get away with displaying it. It will add a little colour to my all blue fleet of Fordsons

Thanks FB I have often wondered, it is curious that there are no markings. :)

i'm surprised too!!, i'll see if i can check mine later when i get home. SOmeone may be able to confirm sooner  ??? ???

Archived