Two Sister?s Farm

Tellarian

You are right Marky, it?s there on the leading edge of the offside rear mudguard. I can just make it out with a magnifying glass. Thanks for going to the trouble of looking.

No problem... mines in the cabinet next to me... so it's not bother... forgot to mention.... WICKED TREES  :o :o :o :o

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I?m using a material called Milliput to simulate the bark on my tree. It?s a strange material that I?ve never used before. It is a two part epoxy putty  and is the same consistency as plasticene. You mix equal amounts together for six minutes until thoroughly mixed, a little water on your fingers helps. Spread it on the tree trunk, and mark with a sharp tool while it is still soft keeping the material damp. It is very easy to carve and stays workable for about an hour or so eventually going hard in about three hours. I?m going to need two packs for the one tree, which should leave a little over. As it has dried the tree has become more rigid. It was a bit floppy with just the telephone wire.

I am working on another rail motor a Canadian Cheverolet this time and it?s proving to be a little rascal to get it to fit the Athearn chassis, the same one I used on the Opel truck. It means  more bodging I?m afraid. Pictures later.

I?m using a material called Milliput to simulate the bark on my tree. It?s a strange material that I?ve never used before. It is a two part epoxy putty  and is the same consistency as plasticene. You mix equal amounts together for six minutes until thoroughly mixed, a little water on your fingers helps. Spread it on the tree trunk, and mark with a sharp tool while it is still soft keeping the material damp. It is very easy to carve and stays workable for about an hour or so eventually going hard in about three hours. I?m going to need two packs for the one tree, which should leave a little over. As it has dried the tree has become more rigid. It was a bit floppy with just the telephone wire.

I am working on another rail motor a Canadian Cheverolet this time and it?s proving to be a little rascal to get it to fit the Athearn chassis, the same one I used on the Opel truck. It means  more bodging I?m afraid. Pictures later.

Our Club model makers use Milliput a lot for filling joints and customising models, adding body features etc..  It is a very fine medium

I intend having a few cows being driven over the bridge and as the period being modelled is the early fifties they would most likely be Shorthorns. Could  I use the current Britain?s Friesians models and re paint them in a suitable colour? Does anyone have photos of Shorthorn cattle so I can get the colours right?

After a lot of cutting and checking I have got the Chevrolet truck body to fit the loco chassis, it should go into paintshop at the weekend.

Why not, I think it?s always interesting to see how other people solve problems, in our case large scale trees. We can all learn new techniques from each other, whatever discipline we pursue. I?ve been modelling railways for some 40 years and there are always new things to learn. I find that is half the fun, have a go and if that doesn?t work try something else.

Why not, I think it?s always interesting to see how other people solve problems, in our case large scale trees. We can all learn new techniques from each other, whatever discipline we pursue. I?ve been modelling railways for some 40 years and there are always new things to learn. I find that is half the fun, have a go and if that doesn?t work try something else.

Using wire as an armature is somthing I have learned here which I am trying at the moment.  I am using plasticine to mould the trunk and larger branches.  Plasticine (or at least the original stuff) goes rock hard when painted with banana oil (if you can still buy it).  I have modern Plasticine and a very old tin of banana oil somewhere so will be testing that theory.  Plasticine does harden in time in any case. 

The other option (but not if you are using plastic coated wire) is Skulpy.  This is a modelling clay that works like Plasticine but you put it in a low oven and bake it.  Very fine grained medium to work with, handles well and when baked is solid. The wellington boots and bowls for the dairy were made from it. Comes in small blocks but a little goes a long way.  The Andover Miniature Modellers used it a lot.

Well Sue I think you have proved my point very well. Firstly I didn?t know that Plasticine went hard when painted with banana oil and secondly I?ve never heard of skulpy, it sounds an interesting material.

I must say I?m happy with Milliput at the moment, it seems user friendly and at about ?2.50 a pack not expensive. Two packs will make my tree and leave plenty over for filling the roof supports on my barn.

Well Sue I think you have proved my point very well. Firstly I didn?t know that Plasticine went hard when painted with banana oil and secondly I?ve never heard of skulpy, it sounds an interesting material.

I must say I?m happy with Milliput at the moment, it seems user friendly and at about ?2.50 a pack not expensive. Two packs will make my tree and leave plenty over for filling the roof supports on my barn.

And I have just found this - now I know what banana oil is!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Banana-oil-Dope-Balsa-Kit-Plane-Model-covering-tissue_W0QQitemZ280156821010QQihZ018QQcategoryZ34056QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and this interesting site for skulpy  - there are other brands

http://www.overclock.net/case-mods-general-discussion/69602-spookys-guide-custom-parts-using-skulpy.html

Thanks for that Sue, my local model shop sells dope for aircraft modellers, so I?ll have to give that a try one day.

Skulpy looks interesting for making moulds to make batches of things, lots of possibilities there I think.

The trouble is on my Two Sister?s Farm layout everything is a one off, still that is part of its attraction, I hope.

Well it?s back to making a tool Box for the Chevy truck. 

i just found a guy on ebay who sells train set trees, very cheap and has loads of different size ones, i have 4 oak style ones going, all 20 cm high and 11 cm wide , 12 quid inc postage,when they get here i will post a few pics up, as they look very encourgaing from the pics he posted

That sounds like a good deal tractorman810, it will be interesting to see what they look like. I simply don?t have room for more than one tree on Two Sisters and that is to disguise the corner, they take up so much room. Most railway modellers don?t make trees big enough really, as you know the real things are pretty big.

Here is the one I started a few months back, fine wire mesh and newspaper covered in watered down pva.

Apart from buying ready made ones it can't be any easier!!

It won't go here, it's just for size comparison with the buildings.

post-227-132638654204_thumb.jpg

post-227-132638654207_thumb.jpg

i just found a guy on ebay who sells train set trees, very cheap and has loads of different size ones, i have 4 oak style ones going, all 20 cm high and 11 cm wide , 12 quid inc postage,when they get here i will post a few pics up, as they look very encourgaing from the pics he posted

Sounds interesting and at that price quite cheap.  Looking forward to seeing the pics and your comments when they arrive.

I think that?s an excellent little scene you?ve made Tris. I think you will get away with some grey green washes  over the trunk and branches then a very thin wash of diluted black. When that is thoroughly dry, dry brush the trunk here and there with a light grey colour, just a hint of colour. If you have not used it try Anita?s all purpose acrylic craft paint, at about ?1 a pot they are good value, and your brushes can be cleaned in soapy water. Get some Woodland Scenics tree making material and you will have a fine tree.

I like the stonework on the little building and the farm clutter as well, give the ground some scenic dressing and a plain sky blue back ground and you will have a super little diorama to show off your tractor fleet.

I intend having a few cows being driven over the bridge and as the period being modelled is the early fifties they would most likely be Shorthorns. Could  I use the current Britain?s Friesians models and re paint them in a suitable colour? Does anyone have photos of Shorthorn cattle so I can get the colours right?After a lot of cutting and checking I have got the Chevrolet truck body to fit the loco chassis, it should go into paintshop at the weekend.

What an excellent layout you have.....stunning !!

As regards to the shorthorns, I would say the earlier Britains cattle would be better. They are slimmer and also they have horns.

Here is a link that may help.

http://www.embryoplus.com/cattle_milking_shorthorn.html

You can google "milking shorthorns" and go to the images tab. Thats where I usually get all my pics from.

I used the earlier cattle for my AYrshires, Guernseys, Gloucesters and my Dutch belted. I have pics of most of these in Britains animal section under conversions.

Hope this helps :)

Looking at it again it doesn't look too bad where it is does it?!! I need a powerline pole there though. I'll keep it to one side and try out your suggestions when I can, if they work out ok then I will have to do a few more. The yard is Polyfilla by the way, smothered with garden dirt for real look colour. There is green scattera round the silo but it is not quite visible in this shot. Thank you for the kind compliments  :)

No idea mate, got this far and then stopped, just trying the process out but with the tips above, it could be finished off somewhen. Probably a few twiggy branches here and there I suppose.  :)

Moss makes a good canopy and provided you have got something to "hang" it on you don't need too many twigs as moss has its own "twiggy" bits.  It really depends on how thick you want the canopy.  A few pieces of thin wire wrapped around the thicker pieces at right angles would serve as supports

Thank you for your kind comments and advice. It?s funny but I?m modelling a tiny part of a farm that had a narrow gauge railway and I?m amazed at the interest it has created.

I have been looking at your work and am very impressed the work you have done, I especially liked the Ayrshires, I remember those as a lad at a farm near to where I lived.

I shall take your advice and look out for some early Britain?s cows.

p1010007ly0.jpg

p1010008th5.jpg

I?ve assembled the Chevy truck at last, being forward control has made it shorter than the Opel so I?ve had to add a tool box to the centre to hide the electric motor. It?s just in grey primer but I think I?ll leave it this colour as it shows details well. It then needs the extra details painting on by brush and then a bit weathering to make it look used. A few ropes and chains, a crew member and that will be it. (Note the roof is resting on top of the cab and is not glued on yet.) This will be used to take tractor drivers and fuel out to the fields at the start of the day. The box in the back hides the drive mechanism and is made of balsa wood with a tarpaulin made from tissue paper soaked in dilute pva then painted. Overall I?m quite pleased with the way it has turned out.

You can see the tree in the background being coated with Milliput a little at a time. I mark bark effects on it using a pointed cocktail stick. It remains workable for about an hour and dries in about three.

I?ve assembled the Chevy truck at last, being forward control has made it shorter than the Opel so I?ve had to add a tool box to the centre to hide the electric motor. It?s just in grey primer but I think I?ll leave it this colour as it shows details well. It then needs the extra details painting on by brush and then a bit weathering to make it look used. A few ropes and chains, a crew member and that will be it. (Note the roof is resting on top of the cab and is not glued on yet.) This will be used to take tractor drivers and fuel out to the fields at the start of the day. The box in the back hides the drive mechanism and is made of balsa wood with a tarpaulin made from tissue paper soaked in dilute pva then painted. Overall I?m quite pleased with the way it has turned out.

You can see the tree in the background being coated with Milliput a little at a time. I mark bark effects on it using a pointed Willytail stick. It remains workable for about an hour and dries in about three.

Chevvy looks good and can't wait to see it weathered.   Tree bark is superb it reminds me of the old Bramley in my garden - the trunk is about the same size.  One tree I cannot hug never mind shake!  Looking forward to seeing it coloured and finished.

p1010009fe7.jpg

p1010011pr4.jpg

I thought I?d post a couple more pictures of the Chevy truck before it is weathered as the trucks seem popular. The cab interior is very detailed but with the glazing installed it can?t really be seen  which is a pity.

The tree has been covered with Milliput and a bark effect scribed onto it whilst soft. I then covered it all with a thin wash of greyish green. When dry a thin wash of very dark grey almost black was put on and allowed to dry. Then a wash of a brownish grey was put on then when that was dry a mid grey was dry brushed over the trunk and branches.

The next stage will be adding the foliage.

Archived