Ferguson TE20 - Real not a model

Jez

Ok, I once had a Continental TEA 20 when I was younger and am interested in getting another one.

Can anyone give me some tips about which would be a good one to get, e.g. a diesel? a Petrol?

Also what are signs of a good machine or what is advisable to check on them when looking.

I am guessing there will be someone here who can help.

Thanks guys, I look forward to some great and interesting input.

Jez

:D :D :D;);D ;D

Ok, I once had a Continental TEA 20 when I was younger and am interested in getting another one.

Can anyone give me some tips about which would be a good one to get, e.g. a diesel? a Petrol?

Also what are signs of a good machine or what is advisable to check on them when looking.

I am guessing there will be someone here who can help.

Thanks guys, I look forward to some great and interesting input.

Jez

Jez,

I would say it all depends on what you intend doing with the tractor i.e. working it or showing it. For a work horse it has to be the TEF20 diesel since easier started assuming engine good and less hassle than straight petrol or worse still petrol paraffinn. If showing then there are heaps of different models out there. Petrol parafinn likely to be cheaper than diesls though. I sold a TEF 20 some 11 years ago to a chap inc loader for ? 800. It sold at his dispersal sale 2 or 3 years ago for ? 2,600 and the loader made ? 180. Personally I'm not a grey fergie fan though Harry Ferguson was the pioneer of the 3 point linkage which is still used to this day.

Thanks BBLQO92

I am hoping to pick up a plough also and possibly depending how it goes get to some ploughing matches if I can.

I was thinking a diesel but didnt realise they fetch such money.

All input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jez  ;D:D :D

Thanks BBLQO92

I am hoping to pick up a plough also and possibly depending how it goes get to some ploughing matches if I can.

I was thinking a diesel but didnt realise they fetch such money.

All input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jez  ;D:D :D

Jez,

The tractor wasn't a concours restoration but it was in good shape. The wings had been plated since those were the days before you could buy wing skins and at a reasonable price. The guy I sold it to put on new Goodyear tyres all round so that added say ? 500 in value. Personally I think the guy paid over the top for it and speaking to him afterwards the main reason for buying it was it had a Jack Olding dealer badge on it and his wife's father was once an manage with Jack Olding. I had the last laugh though since when he was about to drive it off his wife came over to me for assistance since they could start the tractor. I pushed in the excess fuel buttonjumped on the seat and it started no bother with the gear stick. They were used to petrol parafinn and didn't know about holding in ther brass starting button with your right leg or knee on the diesel verson.

Bill

Personally I would go for a diesel TEF-20 as well......I myself have a Petrol/TVO TED-20 which I've been restoring over the past few years......The mixing of petrol and kerosene to get the right TVO mix etc is just hastle you could do without (no disrespect to my wee Fergie However  ;))......

Keep an eye for leaking Seals around the break drums as my TED-20 is permanently suffering from this problem......I even replaced each seal two years ago and one has gone again......

Even if it's a runner ask the owner if they always put anti-freeze in as if not a cracked block could be a problem......

Have a look at www.fofh.co.uk and www.holland-brand.co.uk for other useful information......

Hope that is of some use......

Personally I would go for a diesel TEF-20 as well......I myself have a Petrol/TVO TED-20 which I've been restoring over the past few years......The mixing of petrol and kerosene to get the right TVO mix etc is just hastle you could do without (no disrespect to my wee Fergie However  ;))......

Keep an eye for leaking Seals around the break drums as my TED-20 is permanently suffering from this problem......I even replaced each seal two years ago and one has gone again......

Even if it's a runner ask the owner if they always put anti-freeze in as if not a cracked block could be a problem......

Have a look at www.fofh.co.uk and www.holland-brand.co.uk for other useful information......

Hope that is of some use......

Excellent NH2 much appreciated for the info.

I am planning on trying to find a diesel and a nice little plough, fergi or not, un sure at the moment.

Again, thanks for your help. I will keep my eyes open. :D;);D

One thing I would watch out for when buying a TE fergie is when you have a "test drive" watch out for a shuddering or jerky clutch when you move off. Nothing serious other than the clutch plate is probably impregnated with oil that has leaked through from the gearbox. A clutch place and a gear box seal will normally cure the problem and are not very expensive from what I can recall. There is however a fair bit of work dismantling and splitting the tractor to do this however nothing like getting your hands dirty and seeing what makes the "wee grey menance tick"

On the subject of dismantling fergies the in thing at the Scottish tractors rallies this year has been to dismantle two fergies and then have a competition between 2 teams to see who can put it all together and have it running in the fastest time. The crucial thing appears to be have a very level surface otherwise meshing engine and gearbox is an absolutly nightmare. The best approach taken so far was one of the teams at Edzell this year was to have it on the dancing boards used by the highland dancers. The only thing they needed to ensure was not to drop and loose any nuts or bolts down in between the boards!!!