Absolute beginner starting first scratch-build project ...

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is excellent Sir.

That will fit into your display of root crop machines very well.

Do you have a Beet Harvester to display?

Now you've started you need to make more.

Yes I have the SIKU Holmer six row self propelled beet harvester, the two-row towed Thyregod beet harvester from Gavin and and the single-row Standen beet harvester from Dave/Towse, plus the expected Stoll 2-row harvester made a a small German company.

now that I have completed the 8-row-topper I at least intend to build a 8-row-beet lifter US-style ...

so Sascha how does this work in real life? theres no root crops near me so i havent a clue?

In the USA, the most common system for harvesting the sugar beet is a two-stage or two-phase system, in contrast to Europe, where either towed full harvsters or self-propelled harvester realize both working phases in one mashine.

The US two stage system incorporates two mashines:

- a so-called defoliator (topper) pulled by a tractor

- a beet lift pulled by a tractor

the defoliator is designed to remove all the leaves from the beet before lifting, as only clean beets can be used for making pure sugar.

Inside the defolatior, accross the full lenghts of the mashine, there are three rows of high-speed rotating rubber flails and steels knives virtually cutting away the beet leaves.

Optionally, as shown in my modell, a line of scalpers is arranged at the end of the mashine, these incorporate sharp knives integrated at the  bottom of a parallelogram section, with one scalper knife per row of beet, These scalper remove the tops of the beets making sure there are no green parts remaining on the beet.

The next mashine to follow is the beet lifter, with today modells lifting six to 12 rows at a time, cleaning them and loading them into lorries driving alongside the lifter all time. A comparatively small tanks collects the beet while the lorries change receiving the beet.

As both the tractor towing the defoliator and the tractor towing the lifter drive over the beets before they are lifted, smaller row-crop wheels are need on the tractors in order to drive between the rows intstead of pushing the beets into the ground by the weight of the tractor.

Due to the rather dry soil in the US, the problem of soil compaction is not so evident as here in wet Western Europe.

more info e. g. http://www.allowaystandard.com/

Everything clear so far? ;-)

what the h... :o :o :o :o :o

i dont belive.sascha thats not your first item you made ;)

WOW thats outstanding ;)

but it really is and I never believed how much work this is - do not know at the moment if I will do any further modell, costs so much time and energy; and there is always something you would like to do better ...

Nevertheless, thanks, Thomas for encouraging me to do it myself and for telling me where and which Plastruct material to order!

but it really is and I never believed how much work this is - do not know at the moment if I will do any further modell, costs so much time and energy; and there is always something you would like to do better ...

Nevertheless, thanks, Thomas for encouraging me to do it myself and for telling me where and which Plastruct material to order!

thats the problem!!! ;) ;), i had that when i started a barn....i put too much detail into the frame but its all hidden in the end behind cladding, no one gets to see it! :(