Britains POS

super6

My first topic :) Does anyone else collect point of sale items? including catalogues, posters, window stickers and other display materials.

Here, hopefully, is something I bought recently. It is approximately A4 sized and shows the operating features on some of the implements/machinery.

scan0002-1.jpg

Can you date it and explain why?

• Like 1

Reckon it would date to around 1980, rainbow type. I have a fair amount of Britain's catalogues as they are a good reference point for looking up when items were first introduced or deleted and these catalogues are collectors items in their own right, see what some of the 1960's ones make on eBay, also what they think they're worth in 'buy it now'.

Thanks for your replies chaps  :) I made it to be 1980. The Nordsten drill was deleted at the end of 1979 as it was not in the 1980 catalogue. Whereas the Chafer Sprayer, Pottinger Loader Wagon and Fyson Elevator were all released in 1980. I presume the decision to delete the drill was made quite late and these cards were made up prior to it being taken  ???

I have more POS and will include it, as time allows, if you are interested?

Thanks for your replies chaps  :) I made it to be 1980. The Nordsten drill was deleted at the end of 1979 as it was not in the 1980 catalogue. Whereas the Chafer Sprayer, Pottinger Loader Wagon and Fyson Elevator were all released in 1980. I presume the decision to delete the drill was made quite late and these cards were made up prior to it being taken  ???

[glow=red,2,300]I have more POS and will include it, as time allows, if you are interested?[/glow]

yes please supersix i like anything britains did in the 60s 70s and early part of the 80s I thought they begun to loose their

way around 1984-85 but are comming back slowly

cheers nigel

My first topic :) Does anyone else collect point of sale items? including catalogues, posters, window stickers and other display materials.

Here, hopefully, is something I bought recently. It is approximately A4 sized and shows the operating features on some of the implements/machinery.

scan0002-1.jpg

Can you date it and explain why?

I was watching that and was going to have a bid but forgot about it. I have a few bits including a couple of posters of animals and machinery dating form about 93/94 i think then i have a powerfarming poster from about 87 plus i have just about every catalogue from 67 onwards  :)

I've got catalogues continuously from '64 and a few retailer window "stickers" ,wall charts etc, also have the white-wood 3 drawer chest of drawers that the figures/animals for farm and zoo where sold from (in the 70s I believe?) which hold some of my collection of same. The shop owner didn't want to sell it when I noticed it had disappeared in the 80's but I twisted his arm with ?25 for it I seem to remember, and he threw in a mint duck-billed platypus that was in the dust in a corner of one drawer.!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Okay, in no particular order, here goes........

Farm Life display card No. 86, first used in 1973, this was a Zwolle purchase a few years ago.

IMG_20080211_2071.jpg

Detail from card

IMG_20080211_2065.jpg

I know its not farm related, but it completed the set  ;) Wild Life display card No. 87, also from 1973

IMG_20080211_2069.jpg

• Like 1

These cards could be hung up by some thread through the holes in the top edge or slid on to the Stock cabinet, mentioned by Nigel. You mean this one? There are several different versions of these, this one was supplied from 1970 as item No. 79

IMG_20080211_2082.jpg

IMG_20080211_2093.jpg

IMG_20080211_2089.jpg

IMG_20080211_2090.jpg

• Like 1

Not strictly POS but about a year back I just missed on ebay (because i dilly dallied about) A metal pin badge given to the britains workers to celebrate britains and ertl get togther it went for ?1.25 and i have never seen another one. GUTTED :'(

I'd like to see/have one of them. One or two will turn up again, I hope ;D

yes, that's the chest of drawers No 79, though I didn't know about it having a number.  I have some sew-on "B" with soldier motifs that I really must get mummy to sew on my duffle bag ready for next term att skooll. ::):P

Oh Nigel... don't show your age... the last duffle bag fell off Noah's Ark  :D :D :D :D

Right, next lot. These were made, apparently, for the 1964 Brighton Toy Fair. Anyone fancy making a trip?  :D

IMG_20080212_2100.jpg

To give you an idea of how big, or little, it is

IMG_20080212_2106.jpg

The major was bought by my dad at a Horsham Historics vintage rally, between 1978-80 at a guess, for the princely sum of 75p. At that time these were hardly ever seen, now they are like double decker buses!

Some more. Card Display Stand Military Cat No.0095. First issued in 1977, being listed as Card Display Stand in the 1978 catalogue becoming Blue Display Stand in 1979. There was also a green coloured version, this being the right hand whilst the blue one is the left hand

IMG_20080212_2108.jpg

Mini Set dispenser, from 1968-9. They were changed to a flat tray type in 1970.

IMG_20080212_2116.jpg

Miniset advertising/display card showing the first series before the 5000. I'd like to be paying those prices ;D .This price is also marked on the dispenser, although it cannot be seen in the pictures.

IMG_20080212_2117.jpg

both

IMG_20080212_2118.jpg

yes, that's the chest of drawers No 79, though I didn't know about it having a number.  I have some sew-on "B" with soldier motifs that I really must get mummy to sew on my duffle bag ready for next term att skooll. ::):P

One of my sisters had a sew on patch, it came out of a girls comic, "The Bunty" I think. So we know what you read!!!!!!!!!!!! I was most indignant at the time because I had the Britains toys ::) big kid. You are going to have to dig it out and show us, insert hopeful smiley.  :D

This post is really fascinating... thanks for sharing.. I have a real interest in the way items were marketed in the 50's to the mid 80's... And what a smashing collection you have there as well... where did you get it all from ???

And... do you know if it has a value today ??? - i would imagine plenty of die-hard Britains nuts would like to get their hands on that lot  :o

One of my sisters had a sew on patch, it came out of a girls comic, "The Bunty" I think. So we know what you read!!!!!!!!!!!! I was most indignant at the time because I had the Britains toys ::) big kid. You are going to have to dig it out and show us, insert hopeful smiley.  :D

haaaaaaah!!!    ........just ebay actually,a couple of years ago or more    ;D...never had a sister...or daughter!

This post is really fascinating... thanks for sharing.. I have a real interest in the way items were marketed in the 50's to the mid 80's... And what a smashing collection you have there as well... where did you get it all from ???

And... do you know if it has a value today ??? - i would imagine plenty of die-hard Britains nuts would like to get their hands on that lot  :o

Thank you for your comments, more to come :) To me the POS items have a certain charm and I feel have enhanced my collection. I have obtained most items from various toy traders, some from shops........the trick here is not to be afraid or embarrassed to ask, I've acquired a few bits this way, I will tell more as items are listed. For the last 18 months a few pieces from that well known online trading place ;) As regards value..................most definitely, as I am sure you will agree that most was discarded when replaced with the latest display item :'(

haaaaaaah!!!     ........just ebay actually,a couple of years ago or more    ;D...never had a sister...or daughter!

Let me guess...........its up in the loft/packed away with the rest ::)

Episode IV A NEW HOPE, some more for you to peruse, mostly posters/boards. Here goes.........

These date from 1981 and are card backed posters that fold from top to bottom, but are not bent in half  ::) you can make out the creases in the pictures. FRom the top they are No. 0074 and 0086

IMG_20080213_2119.jpg

IMG_20080213_2124.jpg

• Like 1

Next. Because the farm range of models is constantly changing a new card backed poster was issued in 1982, again as No. 0074. There were a couple of new releases in the farm animal range but it did not get a new poster, using the same one as 1981

IMG_20080213_2120.jpg

This version was issued in 1983 and also used 1984-85, again as No. 0074

IMG_20080213_2121.jpg

A new release for the farm animal range in 1983 also used 1984-85, again as No. 0086

IMG_20080213_2123.jpg

• Like 1

Last card backed poster, farm animal range No. 0086 as before issued 1986, also available as a paper poster. I can only assume that they stopped supplying this material because the 1986 trade catalogue is the last to carry point of sale items, this was the year they were taken over by Petit ::) so possibly because of this! POS material was reintroduced, in the catalogues, following the takeover by The Ertl company, 1997. The first trade catalogue to show/advertise it, that I have, being the 2002 one.

IMG_20080213_2122.jpg

• Like 1

An Autoway cube from 1984-86, No. 0081. The one shown in the 1984 trade catalogue appears to be a mock up as it bears no resemblance to this ???

IMG_20080213_2134.jpg

IMG_20080213_2127.jpg

IMG_20080213_2129.jpg