Britains POS

super6

No takers to date this ???1990

IMG_20080226_2189.jpg

Very interesting topic super 6, Thanks for sharing this with us :)

Makes me wish I could go back in time to a toyshop in the 80's and buy up a load of stock  :D

It's good to hear that people are enjoying this as much as I am :)

Oh to own a time machine, all mint and boxed with all the rare ones to boot ::) dream on  :D

This one can be dated, 2000, and has a part no. 0715

IMG_20080308_2333.jpg

IMG_20080308_2334.jpg

Okay last for tonight, I think this was used internally, in the factory/store. It probably dates from the 80's as there is no B with the soldier inside. 9545 is the Tipping Transporter with loads, this was deleted at the end of 1987.

IMG_20080308_2335.jpg

Not really POS, but connected with it. This would have been used for printing the labels to go on the stock boxes as seen earlier. Easy to date as this model was released in 1982

IMG_20080308_2353.jpg

I do not know what this was used for, perhaps as part of a packing slip ??? Going by the small rear wheels on the Ford 5000 it must date from either 1974 or1975, 6600 released in 1976. The lady I bought this from stated that her parents owned a toy shop and that this was given to her by a Britains rep.

IMG_20080308_2354.jpg

Perhaps a little obscure, but...........a couple of adverts for you. This from June 1977..................Jubilee year. I've still got my mugs, they are being looked after by my mum ;D

IMG_20080308_2331.jpg

This ones is from the TV Times of April 1987.

scan0001-1.jpg

Slightly bigger, for all you true blues :D :D :D :D

scan0002-2.jpg

A couple of vac formed bases, they are about 500 x 1200. There are no markings on them whatsoever so they may have been bought in. I think they were made for, if not by, Britains. All will be revealed ;)

IMG_20080309_2369.jpg

IMG_20080309_2370.jpg

There was one of these for sale on eBay recently, but it did not sell. I do not know which version it was, it may have been different again.

this deserves a numpty but sure marky will beat me at the end of the year  :D :D only joking marky ;) ;)

were powerfarm models like the siku control or did they just work like the normal britians with a fancy name???

I suppose you could class this as POS. A recent eBay purchase. I bought it from the original seller who only had a poor picture of one of the other, Fiat half track, items. The other items were re-listed by the new owner with good photo's, I was unable to secure any of them :(

This is how it arrived with only the one foldout  wing section. The buyer who re-listed the other items described it as being made for the 1982 Toy Fair. Model is held on to base by wire through four holes. The logo and other markings appear to be cut from a box! Model No. and suggested retail price shown on base with a number 6 for what I cannot imagine ??? The box is specific to this item and going by the letter K on it there were at least 10 other items to go with it  ;) There were a lot of new releases in 1982.

IMG_20080302_2320.jpg

Perhaps 6 was the number of boxes in a case/carton?

scan0002-2.jpg

We'll have to get that put up as Marky's profile picture :D :D :D

Last one for the time being :( There was a glimpse of this in the picture of the shop sales unit, on the top shelf, but no one appeared to notice it ::) I will leave the description to ploughmaster ;)

I remember seeing the top vac-form base (or one very like it) in use in Townsends Toyshop in Burleigh St, Cambridge in the 90's. It was complete with a clear plastic cover and a selection of Britains models glued to it.  I wonder what became of it.  Sadly, that is another shop which has gone.

It is 920 x 320 x 220 (L x W x H )approximately

IMG_20080309_2356.jpg

IMG_20080309_2357.jpg

IMG_20080309_2365.jpg

The base is the same as the top one shown earlier, but cut down to suit the case. The cutout at the front is where a small fluorescent light goes. The Fiat 90-90 DRW tractor, model 9529, dates it to 1988. It was only available for one year in orange.

Fin

• Like 1

I remember seeing the top vac-form base (or one very like it) in use in Townsends Toyshop in Burleigh St, Cambridge in the 90's. It was complete with a clear plastic cover and a selection of Britains models glued to it.  I wonder what became of it.  Sadly, that is another shop which has gone.

Very true... but do you remember Laurie & McConnells... now that was a toy shop.. My dad did the books for them for a few years.. he always maintained the toyshop buyer would bust them one day... if my memory serves me correctly.. he was the largest stockist of Hornby items in the UK  :o :o

Very true... but do you remember Laurie & McConnells... now that was a toy shop.. My dad did the books for them for a few years.. he always maintained the toyshop buyer would bust them one day... if my memory serves me correctly.. he was the largest stockist of Hornby items in the UK  :o :o

Townsends was a class shop!!!, used to go in there everytime i went to town ;D, i remember all the models on the back wall!!!, remember getting the MF drill in there for aroudn a fiver?, spent so much in there! :D :D :D. Knew it was going downhill when they moved the britians to the middle of the shop, then up stairs....then they went :'( :'(

Eden Lilley was another shop that sold loads of Britians and often had displays! ;D ;D

where was Laurie & McConnells Marky?? ??? ???

It was on the end of Fitzroy Steet Ben... I think it's habitat now.. a HUGE department store - I remember going to the toy shop with my mum - it was hoooooooooooooge as well... before my time with farmtoys sadly... but i would imagine they had everything Britains made  :-\

I used to love it when you could still buy the animals individually, as in the big red box, I would always carefully inspect each one for straight legs and scratches before purchase.  :)

I went to store near Whitby last year and they had all of the animals and people set out on a stepped display. When you wanted one they got them out of a box just like you describe!! They were sad because they could no longer buy tem individually!

In the early 60s there was a shop in Battle ("Hyams") that they pulled out the shallow dark oak drawers from the fitted multitude of them down the shop wall and the animals and figures were all laid out individually on the green baise (?-spelling) lining and painted in different styles, like the tan/black/grey rabbits or goat kids , cats etc painted differently although the same stances. Farmers and farm labourers in different coloured attire and hand tools (hoe, rake, broom and pitch-fork/prong). Apparently inmates at the local "Northeye" jail ( about 8 miles away at Little Common,-now gone) did the painting to a lot of the figures and animals in those days. Trouble was my 3d (thruppence!!) pocket money wouldn't buy much more than one sheep or suchlike/week so a tractor at 8 shillings and sixpence was for Christmas/birthdays only.