40th anniversary Great Dorset - One for the Massey fans PICS NOW INCLUDED

MDFord

Its a bit scary, I wouldn't call myself an MF fan, but I took more pictures of MF's than anything else :o It wont happen again though, I'm a true blue  ;D I had a look around the MF anniversary section early on the Thursday morning before all the tractors were parked up, it being a good time to take pictures. Unfortunately I never took the opportunity to have a look at the combine and the information displayed by the owner. I did have a good chat with the commentator, for their ring display, and managed to remember when this was on ::) There were a couple of interesting four wheel drive conversions one being a 165 by Robert Eden using a Manuel front axle and PTO drive to this, very few of these made apparently. The other being a 135 with a Manuel conversion and the usual sandwich box, imported from New Zealand.

Robert Eden used to live at Burwash not far from where I live. When I started working for Sussex Tractors; he used to buy loads of Fords and MF's from us for export. His premises were adjacent to the entrance to the Blackwall Tunnel in Greenwich London. His factory buildings were a couple of rows of lock up garages with up and over doors and one or two larger buildings. I remember seeing the new parts for the four wheel drive conversions and power steering conversions he made for both makes.

I had a Ford DA 2115 artic with a 40' single axle Fromco trailer and could just about get four 5000's on it. That was something of an experience for me as a relatively new trucker; venturing into London, and there were some pretty scarey looking 'Dudes' roaming about the the place, sort of B.A. Baraccus types.

The truck was so unreliable engine wise that on two occasions I didn't get past the local Ford dealer (Stormonts of Hildenborough, Formerly a Fordson dealer) before the head gasket blew, and the trailer was a nightmare to drive with in London with the single axle right at the back. Ooooh memories.

I don't think it was that long ago that Robert Eden died.

• 2 weeks later...