Britains Models

Coxy

Me thinks you may open up a pretty large can of worms on this subject!  There are hundreds of them that would probably take a month to list in a single post. Your best bet is to find 2 pretty good books on the subject. First one is 'Toy Tractors From Britain's' by Peter Baron. This A5 size book covers models produced fron 1948 to 1998, when the book was published and the last 21 pages lists everything farm that was produced together with catalogue numbers and descriptions. 64 pages in total and the cover is yellow and has a picture of the front of a Britain's catalogue on it of the Ford 6600 and plough sitting in the palm of someones hand. Published price was £7 and can still be readily found online and at toy fairs.

Second book, and this one is regarded as the Britain's tractor bible, again A5 size, 'Pocket Guide To Britain's Model Tractors 1948 - 1998' by David Pullen.  This book has 286 pages and covers the tractors. It lists all produced between those dates (and some more slightly later in the list at the rear) and has full colour pictures of each model, the box and description with the times price (where known). In it it also tells you about different drivers, castings, wheels and tyres, steering, cabs and variations.  This book was published at £17.95 and still widely available.    Hope this may be of help to you in your quest.

I'm sure I read in some magazine ( maybe model Tractor ) that a few guys were intending writing a book on Britain's implements. Can't remember who but some of them could be members on here. Does anyone else have any recollections or reading this or was it a dream ??? ???

Me thinks you may open up a pretty large can of worms on this subject!   There are hundreds of them that would probably take a month to list in a single post. Your best bet is to find 2 pretty good books on the subject. First one is 'Toy Tractors From Britain's' by Peter Baron. This A5 size book covers models produced fron 1948 to 1998, when the book was published and the last 21 pages lists everything farm that was produced together with catalogue numbers and descriptions. 64 pages in total and the cover is yellow and has a picture of the front of a Britain's catalogue on it of the Ford 6600 and plough sitting in the palm of someones hand. Published price was £7 and can still be readily found online and at toy fairs.

Second book, and this one is regarded as the Britain's tractor bible, again A5 size, 'Pocket Guide To Britain's Model Tractors 1948 - 1998' by David Pullen.   This book has 286 pages and covers the tractors. It lists all produced between those dates (and some more slightly later in the list at the rear) and has full colour pictures of each model, the box and description with the times price (where known). In it it also tells you about different drivers, castings, wheels and tyres, steering, cabs and variations.  This book was published at £17.95 and still widely available.     Hope this may be of help to you in your quest.

ok I hear that david pullen is being out a new book at the end of the year

I thought there could  be a list on the internet :)

I'm sure I read in some magazine ( maybe model Tractor ) that a few guys were intending writing a book on Britain's implements. Can't remember who but some of them could be members on here. Does anyone else have any recollections or reading this or was it a dream ??? ???

Adrian Little of Mercator Trading (a dealer, friend and very nice man) is putting together a book with a couple of others (who's names I can't remember :-[) - should be out next year. I saw a rough draft at Sandown - looks useful :)

Another good book that covers all makers of lead models and figures up to 1966 (when lead was banned) is 'The Great Book Of Hollow-Cast Figures' by Norman Joplin. This is a large 341 page paperback book that is extremely good for reference. Paid £16 for mine and well worth it.

There is also another book written by Peter Baron which was his first ,i believe which was the predecessor to the book with the yellow cover, and this covered the years 1948- 1992, i think.

this book had a green cover, but i dont think it is still in print, but have seen them available at toyfairs now , and again.

tractorman314.

Me thinks you may open up a pretty large can of worms on this subject!   There are hundreds of them that would probably take a month to list in a single post. Your best bet is to find 2 pretty good books on the subject. First one is 'Toy Tractors From Britain's' by Peter Baron. This A5 size book covers models produced fron 1948 to 1998, when the book was published and the last 21 pages lists everything farm that was produced together with catalogue numbers and descriptions. 64 pages in total and the cover is yellow and has a picture of the front of a Britain's catalogue on it of the Ford 6600 and plough sitting in the palm of someones hand. Published price was £7 and can still be readily found online and at toy fairs.

Second book, and this one is regarded as the Britain's tractor bible, again A5 size, 'Pocket Guide To Britain's Model Tractors 1948 - 1998' by David Pullen.   This book has 286 pages and covers the tractors. It lists all produced between those dates (and some more slightly later in the list at the rear) and has full colour pictures of each model, the box and description with the times price (where known). In it it also tells you about different drivers, castings, wheels and tyres, steering, cabs and variations.  This book was published at £17.95 and still widely available.     Hope this may be of help to you in your quest.

This is an item of POS, see http://www.farmtoysforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=20558.15 and scroll down a little

There is also another book written by Peter Baron which was his first ,i believe which was the predecessor to the book with the yellow cover, and this covered the years 1948- 1992, i think.

this book had a green cover, but i dont think it is still in print, but have seen them available at toyfairs now , and again.

tractorman314.

Yes, this is the first version of the one with the yellow cover. There was also one covering Fordson, Ford and NH tractors with a blue cover from 1994 and another covering Massey Ferguson tractors and implements, with a red cover from 1996

Model Tractors and Implements by David M Bate from 1982

Britains Civilian Toy Figures by Norman Joplin et all (3 others)

Armies of the World, 1993, and Regiments of all Nations, 1981, by Joe Wallis

Various reprinted Britains catalogues, to include the 1939 version reprinted in 1976. The 1940 edition reprinted by Almark publications in 1972, these fall apart. There is also a version of the 1958-59 edition, by whom and when is not marked/known although I was in a toy shop in Honiton a few years back and they were selling these and told me that they'd had them reprinted ???

Cole's Encounters of the Third Kind by Plastic Warrior, 2005. More from Peter Cole about plastic figures/animals and his time at Britains

Dont forget 'Suspended Animation' by Peter Cole, lists all the figures up to the 90's

There is an updated version of this too ;)

Farm and Site magazine articles by Peter Baron, Clive Drakes and Warner Hall to name but three

Last but by no means least all the trade and customer catalogues, leaflets and advertisements issued/ released over the years by Britains themselves.

None of these are exhaustive in the models/variations released for sale by Britains Ltd