MEARNS VINTAGE VEHICLE CLUB RALLY AT EDZELL 6 & 7th SEPTEMBER 2008

BC

This rally is held in a field opposite the Edzell air base. There is usually a large sale of vintage equipment etc on the Saturday afternoon. I have entered my Farmall Cb and the MG2 for the Sunday but will now only be able to take one down after hearing my father goes into hospital for his second hip replacement at the end of August so he will be out of comission (driving wise) for a couple of months.

• 1 month later...

Well I loaded up the Cub on Saturday evening in preparation for the Mearns vintage rally on Sunday. I looked out about 6am and the rain was on. If I had  not been loaded up the night before I think i would have given it a miss but I had to go down to return the cup I won for the best overall tractor and the shield for the best petrol parafinn at last years event. Anyway it rained the whole way down until I turned off the dual carriage way and headed towards the Edzell air base. I could not believe it within 1/4 of a mile the road was dry and I could see blue skies ahead. Although it was a cold kinda day it remained dry all day and as usual turned out to be a really nice event.

Anyway here I am at the event with my Cub and still with here face pack on. The reason for the bath towel is to save flies going through the grill and on to the radiator. Only way to remove them is to power wash with the risk of lifting paint or taking off the grill with the risk of damaging paint. Neither options are good hence the old bath towel.

0792008001.jpg

Towel off

0792008004.jpg

Covered her shiny bits with cling film on Saturday night just in case of rain. I'm glad I did since saved any polishing when I got to the show.

0792008002.jpg

Uncovered and all nice and shiny

0792008005.jpg

Now need to get on and get the ropes off and get her unloaded

0792008003.jpg

0792008006.jpg

Now on with the prize winners. none for me this year but I have  had a fair innings at this show having won something for the last 5 consecutive years. Nice to see someone else winning and what won was very very good.

Best overall tractor and best petrol parafinn went to Raymond Smart from Leven with his 1938 Cockshutt Hart Parr an import from Canada and restored by Raymond and his father Angus just over a year ago. if I have one criticism it is the shade of the wheels. Too orangy in my opinion and some others too but all in all a really good restoration. Raymond also won Best American Tractor at Glamis earlier this year.  It will be interesting to see how he does at Scotland largest tractor show at Scone palace Perth next weekend.

0792008009.jpg

Second place went to this 1952 ferguson TED 20 with 4 wheek drive conversion. I'm sure this was placed second against my Cub at last years show.

Fergies are not my favourites but this one had the likeability factor for me being that bit different.... more on this one later ;) ;)

0792008018.jpg

Third place went to Mike Robertson of Bechin with his 1950 TED20 and Ferguson trailer

0792008013.jpg

Now best diesel and best Fordson went to this 1955 Fordson power major. Lovely paint job but it that dreaded 2 pack stuff and the owner is a paint sprayer to trade so it should be perfect ;D ;D

0792008026.jpg

Second went to this 1972 MF 135 with neep seader at the back

0792008032.jpg

I did not manage to see what got third place but suspect it may have been another Fergie from Mike Robertson

The last prize in the tractor section was for best 3 wheeler.... only one entry and it went to this OTA

0792008014.jpg

Now round some of the other tractors at the show

A Green fordson N

0792008007.jpg

An unrestored 1939 Fordson... yellow but engine has traces of green from the Smart family of leven. I wonder if this will be like the cockshutt next year ??? ???

0792008008.jpg

Another Fordson N this time a 1943 one

0792008010.jpg

Well just in case you have forgotten what my cub looks like ;D ;D

0792008011.jpg

Next my Cubs big cousin a Farmall M

0792008012.jpg

Following on a 1944 Case S

0792008015.jpg

Now onto the commercials

First place went to this recent restoration a 1974 ERF A series.... picture from Deeside rally

3182008097.jpg

Second place went to Colin Milne of Dundee with a 1962 Austin Pick Up .... picture from Angus Show. I had a laugh to myself about this one. At last years Oldmeldrum rally Colin came up to me as I was roping on my Cub in the pouring rain and asked me if i knew anything about ratchet straps ;D ;D.

Well I said I did not use them as such but what did he want to know ??? ??? Well it was the first time out for Colin and his mate had tied the CA Van on but he had never actually done it himself. Well I glady helped him out and when i spoke to him at Scone Palace he had got home safely.

Anyway yesterday he asked if he could call on my "expertise" again on ratchet straps. Well I assisted again but putting one on each wheel for him. Me thinks I could have roped it on quicker but me thinks if I cannot teach Colin to ratchet strap then there is little chance of me learning him to rope ;D ;D

Joking aside he is a really nice chap but I think he is just kinda nervous about losing his lorry. His day job is selling nuts and bolts etc so a kinda useful chap to know ;) ;)

adb2c45e.jpg

Third went to A 1980 ERF M Series from the father and son team of the Forrest's from Kirriemuir

0792008045.jpg

Now a 1972 ERF 64 G

0792008046.jpg

A 1984 ERF C series

0792008047.jpg

An ERF ballast truck

0792008048.jpg

Next up a 1978 Foden

0792008049.jpg

A N Reg Volvo F88 and fridge Van from Gray & Adams Limited

0792008050.jpg

Another from G&A a 1990 Ford Iveco cargo

0792008051.jpg

Unipower Hannibal Forestry truck / tractor ??? ???

0792008053.jpg

And finally a landy for marshaman ... A 1973 Series 3

0792008054.jpg

Well thats it from me form the Mearns vintage Vehicle rally for 2008.

One last thing saw this coin / plague from a collector. Looks like copper and is very heavy. Reads THE NORTHERN AGRICULTURAL COMPANY LIMITED ABERDEEN. So far no one has been able to tell him anything about this company so we think it must be pretty old ??? ???

0792008052.jpg

Excellent Photos mate, I was quite surprised to see that particular style loader on the 414, didn't know that it was used in the UK as well!

Glad you enjoyed Tim. It is not often you see a loader on a restored tractor let a lone an implement like the mower as well ;D ;D

Excellent write up Bill........Glad the ERF A Series did well, it belongs to a lad that lives just down from three of our fields........ :) :)

Small small world isn't it Martin. I don't know the chap as such but I'm sure he used to drive Whyte's Atkinson with the drag and two Farmall's on it. No doubt he will be at Scone Palace next week so we will se how he does there... there will be lots more there all colours shapes and sizes ... it be a magical show yet again no doubt ;D ;D

Brillant pics Bill, thanks for posting, Love the landie :-* Your club looks amazing did you restore her yourself? Nice 414 there as well :) :)

Yes I though the Landy would appeal to you Adam.

Yes the cub was mainly restored by myself with help from father and friends with some things. You will see the restoration process with the attached link.

http://www.farmtoysforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=14526.0

Small small world isn't it Martin. I don't know the chap as such but I'm sure he used to drive Whyte's Atkinson with the drag and two Farmall's on it. No doubt he will be at Scone Palace next week so we will se how he does there... there will be lots more there all colours shapes and sizes ... it be a magical show yet again no doubt ;D ;D

We may well get to this one as the boss has mentioned he'd like to go too, so may see you there if we're not busy Bill........ :)

Are you bringing anything to Scone yourself?

We may well get to this one as the boss has mentioned he'd like to go too, so may see you there if we're not busy Bill........ :)

Are you bringing anything to Scone yourself?

Well Martin I have the Farmall Cub booked in and dad has the MG2 crawler booked in but he won't be coming down since he is recovering from a hip replacement. Most likely it will be the Cub which I will take down on the Sunday but if the weather is bad in Aberdeen on Saturday it may be the MG2 since its in a covered trailer and I only need to reverse back and hitch on with that one and I'm on my way. The weather forecast for Perth is heavy rain Saturday with sunny intervals on Sunday so fingers crossed Sunday will be pleasant enough. Whatever the weather I will be there since it is a rally good show probably the largest and best in Scotland. I'll PM you with my mobile and if you are there you can give me a bell.

Good to sea some Foden's, made in Sandbatch, just near me.

Yes there are quite a few Fodens going about on the rally scene.A pal of mine has quite a few in his collection and he even uses some classic Foden's in his heavy vehicle recovery business since he finds them to be cheaper adn more reliable than some of the newer types of lorries on the road.

I'm going to a large shpw near Perth on Sunday so I'm sure I'll see quite a few more Fodens there ;) ;)