CX880 'improvements'

Before pimping a model I usually buy a brochure or two for the proposed model and collect as many pics as i can using google ;)

Got the online CR brochure, but no pics of the tank - OK for CX references though, a couple of brochures and a few photos from local examples I've seen...nothing as big as CX880 though!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been having another go at this today; I've made another grain tank cover-top for the 880, which I do think looks better than the first effort - used the CR tank top as a model.  Haven't had chance to paint it yet though, waiting for the people to unblock the drain!  I've also added on a cover for the pulleys on the side of the elevator and some jewelled worklights on the front of the cab.  Started to paint exhaust pipe as well.

post-566-132638876737_thumb.jpg

post-566-132638876764_thumb.jpg

Another update...have painted the bits to attach to the elevator and added cab pillars and the sweeping yellow panels in the corners...also painted the open tank doors but they need another coat...not happy with humbrol paint it comes out of the can far too suddenly!  The NH millenium yellow sprays a dream though!

post-566-132638877061_thumb.jpg

post-566-132638877076_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the support :)

I want to add hosing to the combine now, spoke to a mate who sorted me with some fuse wire though I think it might be too thick (its 1mm or thereabouts, but quite hard to bend into shape.  I can remember using thin electronic wire (usually with plastic 'skin') at school but not sure where to get this from ???

Thanks for the support :)

I want to add hosing to the combine now, spoke to a mate who sorted me with some fuse wire though I think it might be too thick (its 1mm or thereabouts, but quite hard to bend into shape.  I can remember using thin electronic wire (usually with plastic 'skin') at school but not sure where to get this from ???

Data cables, such as the cables used for modems to computers have smaller wires inside the outer casing, and they are all different colours.

post-864-132638878158_thumb.gif

post-864-132638878162_thumb.jpg

Managed to get the type I had in mind, actually looked properly in Maplins and there it was!  Will hopefully get some more done later cabling the elevator/header connections.

Something else I was thinking of doing was the black panel behind the engine area, as can be seen in the top photo here:

http://farmphoto.com/fpv2/thread.aspx?mid=526957#526957

What I was wondering was, do youthink it would be better to simply paint the area, or cut a panel from thin plasticard and attach it?  The second idea appeals more to me given my cruddy attempts at masking so far! 

Ideas for replacing the dust fan would be welcome too! ;)

Razor saw had arrived so got to work on cutting down the header on one of the CX's.  Nowhere near finished, I cut a chunk out of a finger and pressing down on the auger to trim it to size reopened the wound so will have to give it a rest for now.  Sides need gluing still, poly cement didn't work so need something better, and reel bars/tines still to be cut to size before all gluing back together.

post-566-132638889647_thumb.jpg

:o :o :o :o :o

Looking amazing Joe, 100times better than the standed model. I would love one with a 20ft cut but dont think i could cut one down very well :D:)

Cheers Ad ;)

The actual cutting of it wasn't so bad - razor saw went through it nicely, but because I left a small section as a margin for error this needed trimming off and that was when I trimmed more than just the plastic! :'(

The reel comes apart and consists of 4 sections with a metal shaft running through the centre - once apart, I trimmed down the sections by about 1cm each, perhaps a little more, and thentrimmed the shaft, though not quite enough, so need to sneak a little bit of the metal off the end.  Then cut the auger down to size, it will mean that the mechanism won't work but not to worry...also the centre of the reel won't exactly match up to the teeth on the centre of the auger...but I'm glad I've given it a go, and its all part of the learning experience...I have an idea in mind to have a go at the blue decalled one next and change into the CX8070 I snapped by the canal earlier in the 'Summer', this will also need a header cutting down, have put an ad out for a CR header, but if I can't get one I might just chop my own one down.  It will also need some alterations around the engine area, fortunately the one i watched kept the discharge spout extended so got some good views :)

I want to have a try at dirtying up the CX820 - I was looking at the link Jez posted of the JD 8430 on the GTP forum, would love to achieve something like that, maybe will practise on something else first though :D

It keeps me quiet ::)

• 10 months later...

Time to resurrect this topic - I have today removed the old cab from the combine I will be making into a CX820 - and just have to work out how to glue the CR980 cab on properly.  Its taped in position now and looks better, will post up some pics if you like?  Hope to crack on with this over the next few weeks!

blimey thats some good going on those combines, bit more than i'd like to try , the only thing i've added to my CX880 is fingerprints when it ONCE came out of the box, lord only knows why i bought it in the first place  ???