CX880 'improvements'

I still haven't properly fixed the new cab in place, but just thought I'd post a few pics of the cab held in place very technically - with a marker pen!!

The first photo also show it with the new CX820 decal over the old one.  I will hopefully crack on with this soon, fix the cab on, add details to the exhaust, the unloading auger, dust screen, and elevator.  I also plan to scratchbuild the reel, but maybe a little ambitious there, and build a header trailer.  I had the presence of mind to seek out a header trailer last sunday and got some photos for reference.

Anyway enough waffling, here are the piccys:

P1020866.jpg

P1020867.jpg

P1020868.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The tank lid is not a permanent fitting Sean; I am still wondering if it would be easy to make opening and closing doors, though that may involve removing some metal from the model.  Still loads to do, but plenty of reference photos now (800+ of same machine!)

if the tops cut out already make the doors ect in a plastic insert?? might not be the perfect width compaired to the origonals, but if its only a few mm narrower and deeper then would you even notice?? doors would only need a simple hinge, hollow plastic along each side interlocking almost like a piano hinge, with rodd inbetween them for the pin. does that make sence??

I think I see what your getting at there Sean...haven't cut any holes in the metal, the open tank lids I made out of plastic and it just sits on top of the combine at present.  Something proper opening would be better though - have you got anything to illustrate the hinges, to give me a clearer idea? ???

• 5 weeks later...

Have spent a good while at the CX today - have finally attached the cab off the CR and reassembled the shortened header, using the reel from the CR also so it has the right number of sections; have also attached the dust screen from the CR:

P1020988.jpg

P1020989.jpg

By no means finished, but heres a top view and a close up of the exhaust which still needs painting:

P1020990.jpg

P1020991.jpg

And a rather over exposed close up of the cab:

P1020992.jpg

Any comments most welcome!  Still lots more work to do, including header trailer, and a decent header attach system (still puzzling that one out!), then there will be a chaff blower and tool box for the chassis...and I'll try not to leave it another year between jobs!

blimey your getting there joe, looking good mate

Cheers Sean, going to puzzle out header attach system I think next...might need to order some square tube plastruct for the header trailer, plus I don;t have any wheels/axle at the mo!  Needs weathering too, its far too clean the way it is!

Still haven't done the header attach system, but today I have added a cab roof aerial and also transferred the unloading auger off the CR; had to cut it as the fitting is larger, so have 'mated' it to the fitting on the original model...doesn't look too bad except that I painted it with matt black instead of gloss...oops!  Made a start on the chaff blower but need tubular sections of plastruct and the ones I have aren't big enough

• 10 months later...

Bumping this to add that I have found the real CX this model is based on sitting in a field (rain stopped play) and have done a sort of 'walkaround' and taken some close up detail shots, so I have no excuse not to crack on and finish this model - its been three years since I started on it after all!!

Well I think you have made some great improvements I would love to have a go myself at making a smaller  version like the CSX ? my local farmer has one with a 20 ft header which would be far more suitable for Upstreet farm after looking at yours I may have ago now my farm nuildings are all done thanks for posting the info.

Thanks Mike,

I spent probably about an hour just staring at the thing the other day, trying to work out how to make a header attach system!  I am also going to add an 'undercarriage' as well, and a chaff blower, then all that it will need is a header trailer...I must crack on.

I think a CSX convo would be difficult given the different shape - a CX820 is the smallest that can be represented by this model, as the 700 series were narrower.  The rear wheels are too big on mine to be honest, but they'll do for now.