Strange rotaspreader varient?

CMB

Question

12 answers to this question

never seen one like that before.

and Simon...I'm sure you know there have never been any slip clutches on Rotaspreaders really?  :)

Wasn't there a plate type on the end of the shaft Nigel...  ??? Been a long time since we flogged ours for scrap....  :D

not on any of the Howard 100/150/250, Hillam, Fraser or New Hollands that I've used, or seen others new at shows, like Kidd ,Marshall,Theakston, JD (Howard made under licence) Bamford etc. They relied entirely on the flail chains collapsing around obstacles, though even Breeze blocks would get thrown out eventually so I'm told!

Ahhhh, I don't doubt you for a second Nigel, it would be obsolete with a flail , silly me ::) We had a Howard 100 or 150 I think. I can vouch for the fact that they would hurl a concrete block out in the end, we had those 9" hollow blocks in our cattle sheds, there would be less and less around the stanchions every year, and when they finally came out the tub they would take your head off  :D :D

The front of it has been altered, someone has fiddled with it to look like a Power Farm one.    Real ones will spread everything exept string and wire and you could, and still can I suppose, get flat plates that go on the end of the chains over the flail lugs for slurry. Marvellous invention was the rotary spreader, see how many Companies made them!

They were Tim, I thought they had fallen out of favour since the likes of rear discharge and multi spreader things came about, but watching one of George's Tractor Ted DVD's there's a great big one on the back of a pretty hefty Fendt, it makes the 535 loading it look tiny!

Always remember an early episode of 'Heartbeat' when there was a heap of big round bales and a Howard Rotaspreader 550 in Claude Greengrass's open fronted barn behind the house. A little before their time perhaps? Funny how you notice these things.

The front of it has been altered, someone has fiddled with it to look like a Power Farm one.    Real ones will spread everything exept string and wire and you could, and still can I suppose, get flat plates that go on the end of the chains over the flail lugs for slurry. Marvellous invention was the rotary spreader, see how many Companies made them!

there were 2 sizes of plates,one oblong about 3/8" thick and the thicker one (1/2") was square, we ran with these on for all muck for quicker discharge. The HILLAM (with rotating barrel) had their own solid head that was welded onto a half-link of chain with the thicker 1/2" chain that was on the bigger Howards and most other makes, by the time they all jumped on the bandwagon....must dig out some Hillam pics, (when we had the SAME Centurion on demo)... one day!