Truck Question - Artic Flatbed Trailers

PDH

Question

Am I right in assuming that the flatbed of an artic truck trailer is always made of wood?  If so does anyone know the usual width and approx length of the timber planks used.

Do particular types of trailer have a particular type of floor material?

If they are not all wood what other material is used and are there any loads that are never carried on a trailer bed built from this material.

I'm currently building a twin axle flat artic trailer to go with a Newray tarctor unit and want to sort out the trailer bed.

Thanks

6 answers to this question

Am I right in assuming that the flatbed of an artic truck trailer is always made of wood?  If so does anyone know the usual width and approx length of the timber planks used.

Do particular types of trailer have a particular type of floor material?

If they are not all wood what other material is used and are there any loads that are never carried on a trailer bed built from this material.

I'm currently building a twin axle flat artic trailer to go with a Newray tarctor unit and want to sort out the trailer bed.

Thanks

Normally a timber or man made bed, rarely steel as there is no resistance for the load to slip etc. Boards are keroin, in various lenghts as they are repaired regularly and only as much as needs to be replaced usually gets done due to the cost of the timber..... I think its normally about 5 1/2" wide, will check for you tomorrow if you like.

If I had a tape measure I could tell you right now as I am parked up in my truck!!! Bare in mind with a twin axle unit and twin axle trailer you will only gross 38 tonnes PDH. One tip I can tell you is that the timber planks fit flush with the two chassis rails NOT flush with them. The are supported underneath by angle iron cross members. My trailer is 40 foot on three axles, she is  dropside but the bed won't differ from a flatbed too much. How much detail do you want, I could measure her up soon if you like?

Thanks for the help guys.

The basis of the trailer is a Newray chassis heavily modified.  I've lowered the suspension, shortened the rear overhang and lengthened the trailer in front of the king pin so it looks better on the tractor unit.  Rebuilt the landing legs and add a side and rear life guards.  This one is a prototype so as I can sort out materials, methods, glues etc before I start on a tri-axle flat and a STAS bulker (again I'll probably use a Newray chassis but add super single wheels from DT).

Once I've got them looking OK I'll probably build a trailer from scratch, that's when I'll need all the details.  For now I just want to get the trailer bed marked up (it will be formed from plastic card) with a representation of the planks.

Thanks for the help guys.

The basis of the trailer is a Newray chassis heavily modified.  I've lowered the suspension, shortened the rear overhang and lengthened the trailer in front of the king pin so it looks better on the tractor unit.  Rebuilt the landing legs and add a side and reaf life guards.  This one is a prototype so as I can sort out materials, methods, glues etc before I start on a tri-axle flat and a STAS bulker (again I'll probably use a Newray chassis but add super single wheels from DT).

Once I've got them looking OK I'll probably build a trailer from scratch, that's when I'll need all the details.  For now I just want to get the trailer bed marked up (it will be formed from plastic card) with a representation of the planks.

Forgot add what I need...derrrr!  I just really need the width and an average length of the planks so as I can score the plastic card accordingly.

Thanks again.