Ertl John Deere 3350 modifications

Old Ford

Question

First off is the steering, drilled out the old internal siku steering part with a 2mm drill bit right down the center of the rivet. Which then release the steering, then with some 2mm brass rod bent to fit to get the wheels straight. Then cut down a bit on both ends, so when put into  the 2mm holes the rod can be spread to hold it in place. Last sand down the center flat. The mudguards are marked up both side of the cab, then cut just past the top slope. Then when still hot bent straight, then cut square with cab post. The hitch is done by first cutting off the old ring or ertl hitch ,then just above the rivet cut out a small hole to take the siku hitch. The siku hitch will need the end cut down a bit to fit. To get the hight right i use a second siku tractor end on. :)

17 answers to this question

thats the hard bit , i use very strong super glue with an accelorater spray. you have to get the wheels on the back first, then work out where you want the front wheels. because there is no axel movement on the front , put a small amount of glue on the axel to tack in place eye up, the hard bit place on. then the harder bit turn over tractor so all wheels are on level surface, ajust then wait for glue to go off or sprary with accelorater. when happy trun over add more glue then spray. finish :) :) well thats how i did my ones :-\ :-\

thats the hard bit , i use very strong super glue with an accelorater spray. you have to get the wheels on the back first, then work out where you want the front wheels. because there is no axel movement on the front , put a small amount of glue on the axel to tack in place eye up, the hard bit place on. then the harder bit turn over tractor so all wheels are on level surface, ajust then wait for glue to go off or sprary with accelorater. when happy trun over add more glue then spray. finish :) :) well thats how i did my ones :-\ :-\

What did you do on the back then, because I machined the axle housing down at the back and the channel got wider annd wider, so I suppose I will have to put a bit of loose pipe over it to act as a bearing, save it from scraping on the arch.  :)

the back wheels  middle inside  sand  down so all flat or slightly under. the jds vary but i found if you bend the arch a bit helps.  i used the ertl axle and end washers ,  some are bigger so you have to make the out side reses bigger on the siku wheels.

the back wheels  middle inside  sand  down so all flat or slightly under. the jds vary but i found if you bend the arch a bit helps.  i used the ertl axle and end washers ,  some are bigger so you have to make the out side reses bigger on the siku wheels.

Cheers, shall try bending them, when i cut them. Oh and did you just use a hand saw, or a cutting disc on a dremel? And I am using the siku axles which are shorter, as the old axle didn't come out too nicely.  ;)

now you have started mate have a go, nothing like doing your own conversion.  my first was this ,so theres hope for us all. :)

Yes ok I will then- really have got to stop finding the easy way out of things.  ::):D :D