FERGUSON AND FIAT QUESTION

JK

Hi,

Two questions to the members on here.  Someone may have the answers.

On a plate on the dash, on a ferguson tractor belonging to a friend of mine the following appears

TED 351826?

Because it is very difficult to make out I do not know is there another number.  I understand that the TE refers to tractor England but waht does the D stand for?  The tractor runs on petrol and TVO.  When were these produced I wonder?

On the engine I can make out the following but again it may not be complete,

8220?6023E  Can anyone offer further information?  I am also wondering why the engine block is painted red?

On a different matter what does the H stand for on the Fiat 680 H?

When I searched for information on the Fiat I came across the following site    www.puddingsworld.com/.../fiat/fiat_680_84.htm

I attach a photo from that site

john

post-924-132638629643_thumb.jpg

JK.    Your Fergy tractor is as follows.    T= Tractor.  E= English. (Banner Lane Built).   D= TVO. ( Fuel, Tractor Vapoising Oil)(Petrol/TVO).    The number is the tractor build or serial number and denotes that it was built in the last quarter of 1953. The other numbers on the same plate that you can't read are the patent numbers as these are printed rather than stamped into the plate but the number you quoted is the important one for identification. The engine block being red sugests that the block has been replaced at some time probably due to common frost damage and replaced with one sourced from one that was a French built 'continental', these French ones were painted red all bar the tin-work that was the usual grey, the continental ones were straight petrol, the difference with the TVO engine was that the engine was the same except that it was fitted with a vaporising manifold and the head gasket was thicker to lower the compression. The T20 engines were made by the Standard Motor Company that later became Triumph, after that Fergies had the Perkins engines Hope this helps but there will be others that are more up to speed on Fergies than I am.