??? CVT or POWERSHIFT ???

Light Land

My question to you all. :)

Lets just say,you needed to buy a decent sized tractor that was only going to be used for heavy tillage and drawing hefty trailers.Would you look at a tractor with a CVT or a powershift transmission??.

For me I'm a powershift fan,so an MF8280 would fit the bill.  8)

Two local yoaks near me,both sporting different transmissions,but both spend there days shifting lightland and pulling trailers only.

IMG_1020.jpg

IMG_0985.jpg

I can't claim to know very much about Vario/IVT type transmissions to be honest. My mate has just bought a mint, full powershift TM165 and she is a puller both draught and drawbar. Excellent gearbox over Range Command although still has it's 'jumpy' gears.

My 7530 Deere last year was PowerQuad or something, a mixture of button and stick where you felt a real connection not just mechanical to the power beneath you.

There again, in NZ I had CVX's to play with and they were everything I could have asked for pulling trailers on power sapping peat land.

Here, a Fendt 716 took me 10 minutes to even make forward motion! ::)

Answer to your question? CVX.

Overall personal choice? 7530 style. I'm old school even at a baby 28yo and stick is best 8) You drive how you drive and nothing interferes. ;)

From a driver's point of view I reckon CVT but on heavy draft work, you'd tend to find the set a powershift box on cruise anyway.

There's no doubt that CVT saps a certain amount of power so from an owners standpoint, the concensus round here is that powershift is more economical, and the potato boys are the main users of CVT for obvious reasons.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well having spent a fair bit time in last few years on vario's and powershifts, i would have to go for CVT every time.  Having done same jobs on same fields with both boxes can safely say the CVT will be far more econmomical with being able to pick whatever speed you desire at the ideal engine revs especially for max torque then on the road they will often hit 50k at only 1500rpm.  And then from my drivers vew point alot easier and alot more smoother having infinate gears and being alot more user friendly

Well having spent a fair bit time in last few years on vario's and powershifts, i would have to go for CVT every time.  Having done same jobs on same fields with both boxes can safely say the CVT will be far more econmomical with being able to pick whatever speed you desire at the ideal engine revs especially for max torque then on the road they will often hit 50k at only 1500rpm.  And then from my drivers vew point alot easier and alot more smoother having infinate gears and being alot more user friendly

TVT190 uses more diesel than a magnum 7220 doing the same work here,is it not fair to say that the comfort of not having to change gear is soaked up with higher fuel useage due to the extra power needed to run the transmisson when used for heavy cultivations?

Many new tractors drop back to 1500rpm at 50k anyway don't they? You use full power to get there and once maximum speed is reached the revs drop off untill the engine becomes under load and they are automaticlly increased. ..  ???

TVT190 uses more diesel than a magnum 7220 doing the same work here,is it not fair to say that the comfort of not having to change gear is soaked up with higher fuel useage due to the extra power needed to run the transmisson when used for heavy cultivations?

Im just going by my experiences Ol as my old 818 would drink 30-32L/hr working hard on 5m press and a Case MX 170 (180hp on shaft never tweaked) would on average 35+ltr.  And tryed our Fendt 926 against neighbours Case MX 270 and there was 12+l/hr more against the Case :'(

Be interesting to see how my CVT 7530 will rate against the AQ 7530 a neighbour runs on similar sprayer and trailer combo's etc.

Powershift more fuel efficient ?????

CVT will beat any powershift for fuel efficiency. I am talking CVT not hydrostat.

Well the 8430 that was tractor of the year was powershift.

So how does the CVT work without a hydro then?

Then to mix it up even more.......

Is there realy that bigger gap between gears with a modern power shift that you can't put up with it exp on heavy work like ploughing.Sure an Ford 8210 next to a Fendt 714 vario would leave a big gap,but the likes of the 2 tractors pictured of the same area there would be sod all diffrance I'm sure.

Powershift Ol.

More fuel efficient mate.

A gear is easyer to turn than a pump full of oil right jez?(i'd of though it was.)