One off the best herald sets

Ooooooooh!! That is very nice indeed, and a very early one too by the looks of it.  Great find ;D

They produced these boxed sets of one of each of the figure in the range primarily for use as a shop display, and a sets were produced from 1957 until 1968 (there were 9 sets: 1957/58, 1959/60, 1961/62, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1967 & 1968). There was also a smaller set of one of each of the new range when they were first made in 1955.  Britains did similar sets for the Wildlife/Zoo animals from their introduction in 1960.

From looking at the figures and animals  present, I would say it is  the 1957 full range.  In 1958 a smaller set was issued containing the rabbits and goats and farm labourers which were new that year.  It is certainly very very rare to find, particularly to still have its full complement of figures.

I have only seen one of these sets (I can't remember which year it was; almost certainly a later one). It was at Donington Park toyfair in 1990, and at (I think!) £395 was too expensive for me at the time  :'(.

I seem to vividly remember buying the individual items from displays like that at our local toyshop back in the early 60s, the shopkeeper carefully stretching the elastic string to release each of the 2, or perhaps 4 if they were the small ones, I could afford ocassionally instead of buying sweets like most of my friends would have done....I wonder how valuable their sweets are now.... ::);)

I had't noticed that, but having now looked closely, I would definately agree with THEBRITFARMER; the two standing lambs are definately the 1971 on remoulded ones - well spotted.  The earlier Herald ones had significantly different stance with the tail vertically down (not stuck out) and the head facing straight forward (the later one has the head looking slightly upward and slightly to one side. The Herald one can be seen on this page of Jonathan Stephens site: http://www.britainsheraldfarm.co.uk/History1957.html

I have never seen the newer poses in black before though - odd?