new guy requires help

dent

Question

hi

i'm not sure if this is the correct section for this if its not i'm sorry

i'm interested in making a few models of the machines were i work and was looking for some advice

the first is a valtra with the forestry guards and a botex trailer

for this i was wondering what is the best brand to use for something like this and what you guys use to make this type of frame work

i was thinking of using brass or steel but i don't know if this is suitabel

the second is not really agricultural but you may be able to help

its a forestry excavator i want to make it in 1.32 scale to match the other models

i was wondering again what you would recomend for the ROPS frame

last i want to make a copy of the telehandler

its a merlo which i already have a ROS model of nut its used with a 360 degree log grapple and i was wondering is it possible to get just the grapple of a forestry trailer from anybody or whether i have to get another model and remove it from that

thanks for any help

4 answers to this question

Hi Dent Welcome to the nut house( er forum) :) . You could use plastistuct type materials which are polystyrene based plastic model making supplies available in most shapes or Brass . I find it easier to work in brass it is harder to join together and cut to shape than plastistruct which you just cut with a knife and glue with regular model cement. My background is mechanical and fabrication so i find it easier to work with metal and shape it and get the results I am wanting. For load bearing structure such as chassis frames it is also stronger than plastic.

I tried to use plastic to build a front for a bonnet the other night i wasted an hour and threw it away. I re made it in brass in less time and it is spot on. This is just my opinion from what i do and a lot depends on a persons skill level as well. so good luck with what ever you choose. I am looking forward to seeing pictures of what you build. They sound like some cool machines :) .

Regards Robert 

Take a look in the Siku 2010 Releases topic, Dent. They are releasing some interesting new forestry machines which may offer inspiration and/or donor parts. I'd love to work in brass as Robert has said above. I think it's very much more the 'thinkers' approach to building fine models.

I'd love to see some photos of your work. . . . :)