machinery size

neilw

Some of it, ie your drill can depend on your fertiliser spreader width and sprayer size. Vice versa when buying either of the latter in can depend on the former. As for the other cultivation machinery I think it comes to cost of machine to buy and run over your farming acres and the weather window in which you have to work. Ultimately, how much you can afford to spend would be the critical factor I would guess.

depends on available HP aswell, gateways etc. I know alot of farmers wont go wider with a sprayer because they think their drill wont work into tramlines. I also know farmers that go for a bigger sprayer then forget how theyre going to fill it.

Just my observations.

Horsepower allowing, would it make more sense to run a 8 mtr seeder along side a 4 mtr topdown, the thinking being you can use the topdown anytime after harvest, also plough up fields to be left over winter, potentially giving you 6 month window (weather and ground condition permitting) to get cultivation done, but seeding needs to be done at more specific times???

this with tramlines at 36 mtrrs.....

Like everything else, every farm is different but personally I work machine size to HP available and area to cover. I think many farms now have over capacity in cultivation in their attempts to get everything done 'on time'.

I prefer to have odd multiples of drill size to tramline width e.g. 3m drill, 21m tramlines (7 x 3) or 4m drill, 20m tramlines so no messing with half drill widths on headlands.  :)

as mentioned before cost! The initial outlay for a 8m drill would be huge, however i know of one farmer who bought an Accord 8m drill for less than £150 at an auction simply because most farmers want smaller kit. Larger farmers are reluctant to buy 2nd hand and have means to finance/justify equipment.

His policy is to buy big 2nd hand kit cheaply and get the job done quick, but its like he says he couldnt justify new kit on his 300 acres.

Small/med size used combines make silly money due to demand and lack of machines that become available.

Hope this helps but there is no simple answer to anything to do with farming.