Dismantling 1/32 universal hobbies ford 5000

fordson major

Question

Hi Guys im looking at murdering (er i mean converting ;D ) one of these models and was wondering if anybody knows how to get the rear wheels off and how to split the model with minimum damage :) . I would like to use all the parts again in this and another project. I got the front grill off and it looks like i have to cut the exhaust to get the bonnet off. I thought i would ask about the rest before i wreck something that i did not need to. Thanks for your time :) .

Regards Robert

5 answers to this question

Ok I guess nobody knew about taking it apart so I went on and did it on my own ;D . basically it is full of little screws that are hidden behind small plastic parts inserted in the main body and the back wheels crack pulling them off.To get the model split you have to destroy half the tractor most of the small parts seem to break trying to get them off  :( . I do have some nice undamaged parts to use some where else though ::) . It would take so much work to convert the model and put it back right ill have to think of another way to do it. This model is not a good one for a conversion project from what I found ;) .

Interesting, thanks Robert, I was only thinking about chopping one of these last night to fit a Britains 5000 bonnet & floorpan to it... maybe I'll stick to ackermanising the front axle on the Britains and fitting a decent hitch....  :-\

Interesting, thanks Robert, I was only thinking about chopping one of these last night to fit a Britains 5000 bonnet & floorpan to it... maybe I'll stick to ackermanising the front axle on the Britains and fitting a decent hitch....  :-\

first one you said would be interesting to see done simon  ;):)

]

You could probably get away with that if you where lucky or put these nicer parts on a britains thats what i may do now ive screwed this one up :)  I tryed to see if a britains bonnet would fit the width is about the same but it is too long and would need to be shortened. the front grill is easy to remove just 2 screws underneath .

The bonnet is not bad you just have to cut the exhaust when the grill is off. The dash pannel is awkward as you cant get the steering wheel off with out cutting the shaft and you have to pull the panel up and it breaks the fitting lugs off.

I dont know about fitting the britains floor pan though i never tried anything with that . The wheels are held on like the britains with the press fit ridged shaft and mine cracked in the boss on the centre hub. If you wanted they could be glued back and it would not show to much. The fenders need pulling with pliers to work them off there square mounting peg so thats not to bad. The only thing that would be a pain is if you have to paint the model blue after the work as it has small detail and it would not be in pieces like a britains. that is what messes it up for me. I would have to re paint the skid unit when i was done and it was never going to look nice like the donor tractor did only a mess. if you want to know anything else just ask :) .

Regards Robert