Poultry thread anyone?

david_scrivener

I don't keep poultry anymore because I can't keep cockerels where I live now (have Mookee fancy pigeons instead), but I'm still a poultry show judge and have written several books about poultry. I thought this section should have a poultry thread as surely many of you have some chooks running around your places. I'll chip in if there are any posts regarding my main interests in this topic, rare breeds and histories of breeds, but apart from that I hope other members will have discussions of their own.

Dave.

I know very little about poultry but I do help out on a farm every year when their 12,000 hens are replaced. The changeover of flock requires a total strip down of the shed. This includes 1600 raised floor sections, hundreds of legs and beams which the floor sits on. Hundreds of metres of feed track and chain. Nest box mats and egg belts. . . The whole lot is pressure washed, the shed is washed and sanitised . . It's a lot of work!! I think there is a six week window to complete the work including the rebuild. Red mite has been a  problem this year so a bigger window was asked for and granted to help rid the shed of the mite. The chickens are farmed within the John Bowler partnership.

my uncle used to show chickens it amazed me how serious it all is, he even went to Holland showing and selling his chickens.

You probably judged his birds David, he gave up showing chickens a few years ago when all his show birds got stolen but he was fed up with winning every show he entered at the time.