Show us your cattle !

Farmermilkin82.050

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent topic, James. Personally I'd be delighted to see what sort of livestock you guys keep. Perhaps we can expand the subject to include pigs, sheep and anything else considered to be a farm animal? :)

For future reference, it would be easiest if there were separate threads for say: (1) pigs (2) sheep (3) horses (4) poultry (5) anything else

First person with relevent photos to start each thread.

Not sure whether some exotics, such as wild boar, buffalo, ostriches belong in 'pigs', 'cattle' or 'poultry', or in 'anything else'.

Up to poster to decide I suppose. 

My kind of topic this James  ;D ;D 

EDIT: Found em!  ;D ;D ;D

Some calves off bought in replacement cows this year.

First a limmy bull calf which has a nice back end to him

Second a limmy x BB which has been nicknamed "titus" grandad is toying with the idea of keeping him on as a spare bull

Thirdly (left to right) Angus x bull, hereford x heifer and hereford x bull

post-2197-132639927354_thumb.jpg

post-2197-132639927364_thumb.jpg

post-2197-132639927376_thumb.jpg

Thats a nice limousin bull what age is he? Pat any more pictures???  :laugh:

There's good muscle on the limo cross blue ;)

Not sure on the age of that limmy bull actually James, I think about 6 months old. No more pics yet but if the weathers good I will have a walk round them this afternoon  :) :)

The Lim x BB has an amazing back end, one of the reasons we might keep him as second bull to our Blonde. Probably use him on the angus/Hereford types rather than the blues, blondes or limmys. That way we can expand the herd size a bit more without compromising the quality of the fatstock as we sell through Market as fat cattle rather than D/W or stores

Not sure on the age of that limmy bull actually James, I think about 6 months old. No more pictures yet but if the weathers good I will have a walk round them this afternoon  :) :)

The Lim x BB has an amazing back end, one of the reasons we might keep him as second bull to our Blonde. Probably use him on the angus/Hereford types rather than the blues, blondes or limmys. That way we can expand the herd size a bit more without compromising the quality of the fatstock as we sell through Market as fat cattle rather than D/W or stores

Whats the herd size now Pat? Whenever your getting photos ( If its alright, could you get some of the good calves this year, I would appreciate it ;) I'm hoping to put ai bulls with my new heifer calf( bb heifer x limo stock bull thats now been sold) and get some good calves off her, I might buy a purebred bb , probably my favourite breed :)

Whats the herd size now Pat? Whenever your getting photos ( If its alright, could you get some of the good calves this year, I would appreciate it ;) I'm hoping to put ai bulls with my new heifer calf( bb heifer x limo stock bull thats now been sold) and get some good calves off her, I might buy a purebred bb , probably my favourite breed :)

We have 27 cows and the Blonde stockbull. Hopefully increasing to about 35 over the next couple of years. What about your herd? Im thinking about AI on heifers as well, use of new bulls, better calves etc. I like belgian blue,especially as cows when crossed with a dairy cow, ideal suckler cow for us. Especially when used with our Blonde bull. Have you considered blonde James? they produce phenomenal calves to BB with great growth rates and so easy calving. Plus the calves look pretty great as well  ;)

We have 27 cows and the Blonde stockbull. Hopefully increasing to about 35 over the next couple of years. What about your herd? Im thinking about AI on heifers as well, use of new bulls, better calves etc. I like belgian blue,especially as cows when crossed with a dairy cow, ideal suckler cow for us. Especially when used with our Blonde bull. Have you considered blonde James? they produce phenomenal calves to BB with great growth rates and so easy calving. Plus the calves look pretty great as well  ;)

Yes Pat well I have had a few chats with my neighbour about blondes he has two cows crossed with limousins I think, I saw some show calves at a sale once, good muscly bulls alright. The herd size is 28 or 29 cows with 26 calved two of the calves were sold and two still to calve.

And then 6 weanling heifers and a bullock that I reared off a bucket. Those heifers will be put with one of the bulls soon enough.

We have two bulls , A bb bull that was off one of the better bb cows and one of the top ai bulls at the time, hes a fierce good bull and he has made great calves,, some limo x bb's this year. And a 20 month old charolais purebred that we bought at a special bull sale in a county called Leitrim in a place called Carrick on Shannon. And the ch bull is from a county called Roscommon.

I would hope to buy a purebred bb heifer to put her on ai bulls everyyear, but sure you have to hope for something!

Great photos Tommy!

Thanks for putting some up ;) Are you milking many now?

Is it ai or stock bulls that you put with the cows?

I believe that there are around 85 being milked at the moment.

Nearly all ai now but we used to have an aberbeen angus stock bull to serve the heifers for the first time.