Show us your cattle !

Farmermilkin82.050

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Must say after spending two days looking at 2 very different herds of stabilisers I'm very impressed by the breed in general. The cows seem very hardy and from what I gleaned they are very easy calving as well. However for intensive beef finishers I would say it would be best to out them to a continental bull to get that extra shape.

Nope,never.The cost of barn and the costs that go with it take away the profit.

I like yeer style of dairy farming, but if it was in our part of ireland, all there would be would be stand off paddocks :D

I saw a lad in the farmers journal(farming newspaper)who has cubicals outside,

We have dairy cattle and you wouldnt do that hear  ;D  or you be looking for teats after they have fallen off when frozen hard. Actually the cold can cause srious problems with herpes on teats.

Our cattle are in the barn all winter but go out on pasture during the summer nights. During sunmmer days they are in the barn to avoid the sweltering heat. Many farmers in our area do not let out the cows or heifers at all.  :(

Here is a shot of my dads beef herd (purebred simmental)

post-302-132639989204_thumb.jpg

During summer days they are in the barn to avoid the sweltering heat

We have dairy cattle and you wouldnt do that hear  ;D  or you be looking for teats after they have fallen off when frozen hard. Actually the cold can cause srious problems with herpes on teats.

Our cattle are in the barn all winter but go out on pasture during the summer nights. During sunmmer days they are in the barn to avoid the sweltering heat. Many farmers in our area do not let out the cows or heifers at all.  :(

Here is a shot of my dads beef herd (purebred simmental)

Really?

My god it must be hot, and it must be a total pain in the, back!

You must use enough silage, maize etc so?

I wouldn't have cubicles outside either, but I am saying thats what this man was at ;D

• 1 month later...

some more

LimmyX bull from a hereford cow, not got enough shape for my liking though

Collection of bulls including 6 black and whites and some Limmy and Blonde cross'

Cows this time with BBx and Blonde at the feed barrier

Cows again and William 'flash' our Blonde bull

post-2197-132640034402_thumb.jpg

post-2197-132640034472_thumb.jpg

post-2197-132640034604_thumb.jpg

post-2197-13264003463_thumb.jpg

Brilliant pictures Pat, I have some to put up tomorrow I'll get more tomorrow, all the calves are sold Pat ::)

Good money we have 12 calves now , 2 pedigrees one of them a pedigree charolais I am halter training at the minute his registered name is Clodrum Grant.

• 4 weeks later...

Time to up date this a bit :D

We have 9 of last years calves left now, most sold off about nine or ten months in our nearest commercial mart.

The 9 weanlings we have left will mostly be reared, two of them a bull and a heifer are very bad on their feet and are on sawdust for the past month to see how things fare out.

Two of the bulls are pedigrees, one Limousin and one Charolais , the charolais is being halter trained and the Limousin is going to be trained soon for Roscrea ( Limousin mart)

. Then the Five other heifers, 3 of the are in our smaller shed , a Limousin x Charolais , a Belgium Blue x Limousin ( < My heifer ) and a Charolais x Limousin.

The other two are on some fields at home , on a purebred Charolais and the other a Limousin x Charolais.

We are an Autumn calving herd, and will start calving down in March about 95 percent of the herd are in calf.

I found some old pictures from the good days in the summer so I'll throw a few up ! :D :D

first a 3/4 bred Belgium Blue Heifer :o

P1040125.jpg

She made 1000 euro Can't remember what kind of weight she was though :/

P1040127.jpg

P1040131.jpg

nice looking heifer for a 3/4 BB , I take it, they are AI? are you using UK/Irish bred Belgian Blue bulls or from the mainland? And what criteria do you use when selecting a bull?

we have a purebred pedigree Belgian Blue herd of about 20 right now (we normally only have a herd of around 12-15, but had 6 calvings in the past 2 months, downsized a lot as we had over 110 cows 6/7 years ago)

Sorry mate, we use our own Blue stock bull. I'll put a snap up of him ;)

When selecting the right sire, we mainly look at good feet short guestation , a good back end And easy calving.

We usually use a bull that would have a good name , and have an idea what the progency is like off him. at the minute we only ai 20 percent of the herd but this year it should be 40 percent

And sorry, any chance of some pictures? at the minute we have 32 cows and 10 in calf heifers and 2 stock bulls , but I hope to buy another Limousin bull as we sold our last one, an ai bred Limousin ;) We bought a pedigree Charolais in March last year and all but one of the pedigree ( Charolais ) herd are in calf to him ;)

Heres the blue bull Fordcrazy! we have to get him off the slats and into a small paddock beside the house, I can get more pictures then ;)

DSC00063-1.jpg

one now at him :D

( he was in our sheds at home in this picture, we moved him because when we calve down we need all the space for cows and calves )

DSC01960.jpg

DSC01956.jpg

DSC01957.jpg

thank you for the info, we started with pedigree stock bulls our selves, but found that although having a very good effect on the overall quality of our herd, it was at some point to hard to find a good bull that would further enhance the quality of our herd and did not came with a huge pricetag, so since a year of 5, we only use AI and are very satisfied with the results.

i should have a lot of pictures somewhere, but not recent ones. The last pictures i took of our cows was at a cowshow last September. I'll try to track them down later this week..

• 2 months later...

Right time to re-ignite this topic. Some of the better bits of whats been a tough calving year :-

First up 3 girls that always hang around together, 2 blondes and a ginger :laugh:

post-2056-0-10233700-1334171939_thumb.jp

post-2056-0-29095700-1334172028_thumb.jp

Then a LimX Blonde in the bull pen enjoying a quiet afternoon

post-2056-0-66171900-1334172105_thumb.jp

My next show winning bull (I hope) and his mother/dam

post-2056-0-99935900-1334172201_thumb.jp

And finally Will the stck bull looking out waiting for turnout

post-2056-0-39965600-1334172271_thumb.jp

Thanks for looking

P.S James, there you go, I did say I would get some pictures

nice pictures, from the looks of it, your stock is improving quality wise! and that is how it is supposed to go, when you use the right material.

for me it is always a challenge to breed better calves then their mothers, according the latest herdbook results, we have achieved it again last year, and it looks like this year we will make another small step forward overall with one exception on the positive side.. I noticed i completely forgot to post the pictures of the last cow shows in this topic.. will try to source them down tomorrow. i recently had them uncovered, so should not be too difficult.. :D