sheep farming, winer feeding

jordantaylor

hi, i was just wondering how many farmers bring their sheep indoors through the winter and feed sheep silage.

my uncle leaves his out all winter and just takes round hay bales to them but i want to know if its common for sheep to be fed silage and kept indoors over winter

i only know of one farmer that does it and hes got around 900 sheep. he brings them in and puts them on silage some time before they go for slaughter but the rest are left out

does anybody else do this

When we had sheep we had to bring them in by christmas or our grass would look more like the somme than a field. We used to feed clamp silage to them with some barley to keep condition on after lambing, then changed over to bale silage for 2 years before we finally sold them all  ;D  Lambs were always left on the mothers with barley fed in field right until when they went to market. This was generally because we didnt have the number of grass fields to wean and feed seperatley, but it always worked out for us. Hope this helps you Jordan

that is a big help thanks

never really been big on sheep farming but from the small amount ive done it hasnt been too bad apart from shearing time  ::)

im thinking of going and doing a year on my uncles farm as its more than just farming its a proper little business due to having the caravan park and 25 stables aswell. i think it would be some good knowlege to know how to manage different sides to farming especially with many smaller farms having these backup money making schemes to fall back on if another part of the farm fails for example if the sheep get a disease ect...

also farming in the hills and the valleys is very different to the flat arable land of shropshire and the rest of the uk

ive had a few sheep for a few years now they are always out doors up until the lambing they usualy get fed once a day just to keep them used flolling the bucket and you can get a good look at them to see for any problems.... 

about a week or two before the lambing depeding on the weather they all come in and be fed siliage from the clamp, hay and meal the usualy be brought in at nights after the lambing with the lambs as i keep charlie sheep and arnt as hardi in bad weather as they havent much wool ..