How To Get The Perfect Muddy Effect Tractor?

almul

Question

Hello everyone just looking for some hints and tips. Looking to Muddy up a few of my tractors and just wondered what the best way to do it is? Some ideas people have told me is: To use a clear lacquer first and then when the model is sticky blow dust or fine sand over it and spray over with a muddy brown coloured paint. But im not too sure other people have said to use a cruched up weetibix and others to use fine compost or soil.

What do you guys think is the best to use?

Thanks

5 answers to this question

I either hand paint them with tiny brushes and different shades, this method is good because you have a lot of control but it is more time consuming. The other method I use is 'misting' which involves spray paint or airbrush building from the base of the model upwards leaving the top half far less covered than the bottom half, this method is good but you have to be very steady not to overdo it. The final method I use is with mud effect paint which is a light grain paint (Tamiya) add a little real dirt and mix before applying to the model, this is more effective than the laquer technique you mention because the lacquer technique I have tried did not hold very well and also misted the windows. With texture paint you can change the colour and add a lot of really chunky mud. Here are some pics;

post-2924-0-73601300-1329257852_thumb.jp

post-2924-0-38093700-1329257860_thumb.jp

post-2924-0-11554500-1329257865_thumb.jp

post-2924-0-38695300-1329257870_thumb.jp

post-2924-0-70544600-1329257875_thumb.jp

post-2924-0-51203100-1329257882_thumb.jp

Hello everyone just looking for some hints and tips. Looking to Muddy up a few of my tractors and just wondered what the best way to do it is? Some ideas people have told me is: To use a clear lacquer first and then when the model is sticky blow dust or fine sand over it and spray over with a muddy brown coloured paint. But im not too sure other people have said to use a cruched up weetibix and others to use fine compost or soil.

What do you guys think is the best to use?

Thanks

i have never heard of weetabix for weathering a tractor,a new one on me