Oakley Estate Farms

I  use a dolly near 30 years to move the HGV trailers   about in the farms while loading spuds up or sugar beet  +  in them good old  I used to pull 40ft  trailers & add the dolly & tractor ( MF 2640 ) no airs brakes !!!   but it did make you sit up that's for sure   all came to and end after some rule changes & the local Dockers complained about us doing the moving on the local docks here in "Goole   " often called a Port in green fields as we did  any thing that need moving  ,  oh well back to models ha ha!

Beans are flying into the yard today from North Cadbury, the dryer is struggling to keep up! We have 7 trailers on, at one time we had Webby backing into the tip pit with the 6210 and 18t beeteaper, a local chap Stewart Elliot helping with his Nh T 7.210 waiting to tip being chased down the road by Phil in black beauty with the 16t root king. All going very well clearing 126 acres yesterday from 1pm and today we are set to clear another 140 odd with an earlier sunday finish for the chaps. post-2769-0-20168100-1409492886_thumb.jp post-2769-0-66381500-1409492939_thumb.jp post-2769-0-50755900-1409492995_thumb.jp

These could be the last harvest pics of 2014 with us set to finish in the next couple of days so using the drone. Combines are running perfectly together very fast with Cemos set to maximum throughput as having no trouble getting a clean sample, the sun is out and the dust is flying, happy days! post-2769-0-08900700-1409493269_thumb.jp post-2769-0-13406700-1409493387_thumb.jp post-2769-0-13907600-1409493560_thumb.jp post-2769-0-86740300-1409493713_thumb.jp post-2769-0-04028100-1409493801_thumb.jp post-2769-0-74246200-1409493927_thumb.jp post-2769-0-35367200-1409494024_thumb.jp

With anger and fustration i have to report this morning after a 3am phone call that our Lexion 770 went up in flames last night in what police are reporting to be suspected arson. Down to one machine with over 340 acres still left to finish, rape to drill, roll and pre em, cultivations to be getting on with what seemed to be a comfortable finish to harvest is now a little nightmare. Not quite sure what to do about this yet.

• Like 1

Hi does that mean the 770 up for sale due to fire damage Alxe ??  as you know I like to have damaged kit on the JM farms ha ha! but fire damage would be a 1st  well sofar ha ha! for me  + I did work on a farm in the 80s  when our old MF combine went up but we always said the foreman let it get wet alight before calling 999 as he want a new combine  hope this isn t the case here at Oakley  is it m8 ?????? X trouble was he got it back as spare parts ha ha! ;D

After i got what happened last night in my head i made a plan to stay up Cadbury with the one 780 all night and finish the remaining 124 acres with the chaser and four trailers relieving 3 tractors trailers and staff to drill and roll rape a North Petherton, seemed the best thing to do and get out of Cadbury as soon as we could but that plan was snuffed by rain so in the end we moved the combine, header, challenger and chaser over to neighbouring farmer and fellow spud grower Archie Montgomery's yard to be kept overnight and out of sight however its hard to disguise a whacking great combine and 600hp challenger moving down the road. Phil managed to drill 34 acres of rape before the downpour so that was something achieved today along with moving a fire damaged vario 1200 header back to HQ. Police have confirmed it was arson but with no witnesses its a stab in the dark but we have our suspicions, proving it will be hard but i think we will just try to crack on and not be defeated, got bigger things to worry about! Iv been humbled by the offers of help too, its good to know so thanks chaps!

It is a shame yes, i havent told Frontier yet but its unlikely it will be repeated since they paid £7,500 for the wrapping. Wait snd see what the insurance say. My uncle said he would happily bring down the two case combines 300 miles and put the one 780 to shame.....i declined!

Edited by Oakley Farms

I think he was pulling my leg! Very nice to offer though. All the new land is going into spring beans Ol as this gives us chance over winter to go in and trim the hedges back to control, cut low branches off of trees, dig ditches out and sort land drainage before giving it a good heave up with the subsoiler and drill beans fixing N into the soil and chopped straw back in for improved organic matter all on the first year

Back on the combine today, staying here tonight to finish Cadbury and bring everything back, going to be a 2-3am finish but we have decided to put in 3 long days to get it wrapped up, after tonight we have 241 acres left in the Park at Oakley, Rape also being drilled and rolled today too, hopefully have these two jobs wrapped up by friday fingers crossed for no more problems. Currently in a field called YMF with two tricky fields left Nose and YMF square and a header change it will be a midnight finish, quick dust down, and and just over an hours drive home

5th Sept and harvest completes at Oakley Farms with the combine returning to the yard and a full grain store. Harvest 14 has been a pleasure with good yields and weather alike apart from our bit of bad luck at the end. I wish every year could be like this! We have worked out a few inefficiencies to sort out next year but now are ready to settle in to potato lifting and drilling winter wheat, slightly more relaxing routine. A huge thanks to the team who have worked hard, Steve on combine 2, Mark on the chaser, Philip on sprayer and drilling rape, Joe running the grainstore and dryer, The trailer gang Maurice, Dan, John Webb, John Miller, and Tony House. Thanks to Julian and his team from Orchard for a first rate baling service and the offers of help from Ju and Paul when we were in a crisis. I hope you all have enjoyed it and will follow on next year. Now for the harvest meal in the pub tomorrow night to say thanks to the team. post-2769-0-17335700-1409942756_thumb.jp post-2769-0-44155100-1409942818_thumb.jp post-2769-0-61714400-1409942881_thumb.jp post-2769-0-28906000-1409942952_thumb.jp post-2769-0-82670100-1409943000_thumb.jp

Edited by Oakley Farms
  • Like 3