Wh are the bluebells like in your area this year? Here around me they seem to be having a really good year, with the wet April and now the very warm conditions have given them really good growing conditions.

post-806-0-50042200-1338047525_thumb.jpg post-806-0-76232400-1338047680_thumb.jpg

Edited by powerrabbit

They've been on about the Spanish bluebells now for several seasons and are asking people to report any pockets of them that they find to DEFRA, trouble is that they easily cross with our native bluebells due to them being the same species and there are a lot of hybrids about. Spanish blubells are quite distinct in their difference from our native ones having flowers all around the stem, longer anthers, more pointed flower petals on the 'bells' and the flowers are more upright and don't hang like the natives. Where they are in the pictures I posted, the area covered is about 2 acres disected by the narrow road, passing through at dusk or early morning the scent of them in the air is very strong and most pleasant. There are no Spanish ones around here, no need for them as our gardens seem to naturally grow the natives, they seem to appear from nowhere.

The problem is the Spanish ones are more vigorous. I have lived in this house for 20 years and have been trying to get rid of the ones I have with limited success. Dig them up and tiny bulblets and broken bulbs remain which develop very fast; weed killer needs several applications and it is difficult to spray when they are growing among other plants. They even grew through my bark path by lifting the membrane (supposed to be growth-proof) and bursting it! Those took a lot of glyphosate to kill. You also cannot put them in the compost bins as they grow although I usually put them in a heavy plastic sack (dog food) and leave them to disintegrate or put them on a bonfire.

Best way to destroy them if you dig up the bulbs is to expose them to the strong sun over the summer or put them on a metal tray in the greenhouse to 'bake' them or in the winter put them in a bucket, cover with water and let them freeze, they don't like being exposed to sun or frost. Of course, you could also blitz the bulbs in a liquidiser. If you miss any, wait until they come to flower and break off the flower stem, that way they don't get a chance to cross pollenate with the natives.