MF double auger headers..... why?

malcy_p

Evening all.

Saw this Massey 9280 Delta Hydro over the other side of the village a day or three back... lots of people with a German registered VW watching/jumping in and out of the cab, talking on mobile phones etc.

Anyhoo - I noticed the weird double auger arrangement :of on the Power Flow table and thought I'd look it up later at home.

The MF web site says it's a High Capacity Rape Header - is the extra auger needed because of the Power Flow belts 'resist' the 'normal' main auger or is there another reason? ???

/m.

post-1591-0-24143300-1346356709_thumb.jp

Saw these a lot in America and that was '03 so not anew concept at all. I was also lead to believe the same as Tim, even feed and stop losses of taller crops over the back of the header. May find the higher auger turns slower so as not to throw seed pods up in the air...

Oh so they're not new then? It's the first time I'd ever seen one, but it's also the first modern MF combine I have seen working... :) Given the height of the crop I saw it working in the second auger wasn't 'in play'!

/m.

The top rape auger has been an option on MF combines in the UK for years now and we use to have one on our massey combine where I worked back in 2004. It was there to stop rape coming over the back of the header and push it down towards the main auger.

Edited by Soilboy

Tris,I know the new combine my cousin operated last harvest,it was brand new his first and last harvest with it,as he retired when the harvest finished had two augers,you can just see the top one in these shot's,

Drewsnewcombine6.jpg

Drewsnewcombine5.jpg

Drewsnewcombine7.jpg7282AL PS if your going to the Steam Fair,keep a look out for him,he'll be the one with the Scottish accent, ;D ;D

Regards

Joe.

Edited by catkom3
  • Like 1