Massey Ferguson 3080

Kiwi6920

Hi lads

, havent been around for a while... Any way looking to clear off the 1390 and replace it with a larger 4wd cab tractor, have found a 3080 that i quite like the look of, strange as im a jd man.... What should i look out for with these old darlings? shes got 10,000 on the clock but had a new gear box 500hrs ago, has a small amount of rust in the bottom of the cab pillar witch i can fix easy, so not worried on that front, just wondering what these old ladys did to there gear boxs and what i need to be aware off

Cheers Nick

From memory, 4wd splined shaft on front axle prone to wear and can be heard rattling. Autotronic 'box' under offside floor can suffer from corrosion, worth a look. Crosshead on lift arms can get loose and upset position sensor. If gearbox is OK not a lot else although at 10000 hrs there's bound to be other wear & tear.

If its had a gear box make sure you keep changing the filters on the backend just for a wile as they may still have filings in there also if I were you I would take the half axles off check brakes and half axle seals as the seals do go and they let the brake filings into the gear box which is a right mess when that happens its hasnt happen to our MF3085 as we changed them at 5000 hours. they do say change seals at 5000-6000 hours

A we tip for you with the doors as this is a soft spot on them (aswell as the cab) :- drill a small hole on the inside of the door frame near the top put a grease nipple in and pump oil inside the door keeps them from rusting from the inside out.

and as John said the front axle jack up the tractor at the front and let the front axle hang free this will allow you to move your axle up and down this should be the way you grease the front axle as it will allow the grease to go around the pivot as it cant go all the way round with the weight of the tractor on it.

Heres a picture of a MF3080 that a good friend has restored there is almost 20,000 hours on it

023-3.jpg