Round Bales

PDH

When I was looking for round bales that fit the latest UH Rolland BH 100 flatbed trailer I found I had 5 different versions, all different sizes, in amongst all the farm bits and pieces I have.

Looking at them it struck me how accurate are they all?

Now firstly a real round baler, and let me say I'm no expert in these so please do correct anything i say, are either fixed or variable-chamber. When the bale reaches a predetermined size, either netting or twine is wrapped around it to hold its shape. The back of the baler swings open, and the bale is discharged.

With a fixed chamber the bale size cannot be varied in size and the manufacturer decides what the size of the bale produced is. With a variable-chamber the operator can set a size according to preference for a crop/crop condition. Variable-chamber balers typically produce bales from 1200mm to 1800mm in diameter and up to 1500mm in width. The bales can weigh anywhere from 500 to 1,000 kg, depending upon size, material, and moisture content.

So I have 5 different round bale versions. These are 4 mainstream manufacturers versions - Britains, Siku, Universal Hobbies and Replicagri, all being moulded plastic - and one cottage industry version as sold by Holly Loves Toys, this is made from wrapped sisal.

The sizes of these round bales are as follows -

Britains 52mm diameter 36mm wide giving a real bales size of 1664mm by 1152mm

Universal Hobbies 38mm diameter 35mm wide giving a real bale size of 1216mm by 1120mm

Siku 44mm diameter 28mm wide giving a real bale size of 1408mm by 896mm

Replicagri 45mm diameter by 36mm wide giving a real bale size of 1440mm by 1152mm

Holly Loves Toys 52mm diameter by 40mm wide giving a real bale size of 1664mm x 1280mm

So there is a huge variation in size. To me the UH ones are probably too small, the Siku ones possibly too narrow. The rest are acceptable though my personal preference for being the most realistic are the Replicagri bales, for their texture and colour to represent straw or the Holly Loves Toys sisal versions.

In conclusion I would say to me it shows whatever bale you use needs to be matched to the machinery you are using. For balers check the baler you use can produce the bales you display with it and check that the bales of choice fit your trailer or make sure you can modify your trailer so they can fit.

Edited by PDH
  • Like 4