Britains Farm

moanbarron

Hello

I am travelling to London from Ireland soon and am interested in buyin some Britains Farm models . I would prefer older models but am looking for all models . would anybody know the best place ion london to find such models . Have had no luck so far

Many thanks

Richard

Dear Richard,

I am not aware of any shops selling the obsolete Britains farm range in London, but depending on the length of your stay, you should try the various street markets in the weekend. However, you would probably be more likely to come across their line of toy soldiers.

In regard to the contemporary line of Britains farm models, Hamley’s hold approximately half of the range. These models are rather expensive compared to the ones that can be found on eBay, as well as other internet-based shops selling Britains (I paid 33 pounds for a Case IH 340 Magnum last time I visited), but as Britains in a historical perspective has had a special relationship towards Hamley’s with many limited editions in the figure range, I find it to be quite a thrilling experience after all.

Hamley’s holds a quite comprehensive range of the William Britain figures (now under the First Gear brand) just next to the farm range.

The top floor on Harrod’s holds a little range of Britains as well with the prizes being on level with Hamley’s. 

If you have the time, I would suggest a visit to either the closed Blackhorse Lane factory (Victoria Line from Central London) or 28 Lambton Road, which now houses residential buildings. Though there is not much to see as such, it gives a special feeling standing opposite a place that has produced millions of Britains figures and models.

Hope you find this usefull.

If you will be London on Saturday 4th May, Plastic Warrior magazine is holding its annual show @ Twickenham.

http://www.plasticwarrior.co.uk/show.html

As the show (& magazine) is basically about toy soldiers, there won't be many tractors & implements there, but should be plenty of farm people, animals, etc., made by Britains and other makers, such as Timpo, F.G.Taylor, Barrett & Sons, Crescent, etc.

Hope this helps, but I don't know what you collect. 'Farm Toys' can cover a wide range of stuff.

Archived