Ebay fees (2014)

Barry

Dave (Towse trading) pointed this out to me today, I didn't know ebay started charging fees on the postage aswell!

An Example of how fees are applied

List an item in auction style on ebay.co.uk starting at £0.99

The item sells for £20.00

You have added £5.00 for P&P

You receive payment via PayPal

Exaample of Ebay fees as follows

Insertion fee for under £1.00 - £0.00

You pay 10% of the final transaction (£20 for the item + £5.00 for the postage = £25.00 thus £2.50 fee)

Paypal Fee - Paypal charge 3.4% of the £25 (£0.85) + £0.20 = Â£1.05

Total Ebay fee £2.50 + Total Paypal fee £1.05 = £3.55

So, if you sell P&P at cost (£5.00) the item you sold for £20.00, you only get £16.45 for (roughly 18% less)

Basically, you sell your item and give Ebay roughly a 5th of the value based on these figures.

Think i'll start looking elsewhere to sell my models, anybody got any ideas as to where?

I know there is a classified section on here, but, for example, I listed a model tractor on here for £25 buy it now including P&P...... no interest....... put it on ebay, sold for £50.64 + £5.65 P&P!

I'm not dissing the classifieds, just a shame it doesn't reach a greater audience.

Hi I sell a lot of cows and now some tools on ebay probably about £1000 a month and just noticed they are now charging on postal fees which is fairly recent. However considering PayPal is owned by ebay they are getting you've every way they can, bit of a rip to be honest. If anyone has any other ideas I would also be very interested.

There is no where else other an eBay as an online selling forum.

I've looked at them all, and even investigated selling via Amazon. In the main they don't have the audience and can be more expensive.

This week I put on eBay up 72 issues of an expensive armour modelling magazine, priced them at £4-00 inc P+P expecting to sell about 25%. As of today, after 4 days, all gone at at least £4-00, some for over £10-00 to bidders from the UK, France, Germany, Australia and even Japan. Tell me where else this would happen?

Traditional auction houses charge a similar amount to eBay and dealers offer a pittance.

I'll keep looking for an eBay alternative but I don't hold out much hope of finding one as good and any cheaper.

The reasoning for eBay charging on P&P is I believe due to sellers hiking their P&P to cover the listing and PP charges, which is I feel fair for those that charge actual P&P charges or free postage, sellers can always place a reserve on their items. Anyone earning a four figure amount a month selling on eBay is obviously making a business out of selling and therefore must be prepared for and accept that there are going to be costs, that's life, you don't get something for nothing! As for calculating postage costs you can buy a cheap set of digital scales, weigh the item as it would be packaged ready to go, go to the Post Office website and use their calculator, not just guess.

Hi i buy & sell afew  mainly me models on ebay & i ve always tried to keep  me p&p down  trouble is some times  you find that you over packet the item & the p&p dont cover  but   i have seen some sellers   still really over charge ing for p&p

hi

EBAY will charge 8.5 % on final fee if you list fee postage , dispatch in 24hr , a express option as well , the postage has to be added to the cost of your buy it now , no such thing as free post?.  on my monthly statment last month costs came to 12.98% across the board , then paypal fees .  i am not listing not as many items there now , trying to get customers to use my web site www.britainstoyfarm.net , the biggest problem is eu & worldwide shipping ,as 10% of shipping has to be passed on to the buyer , best i can come up with is sell buy it now with free shipping (uk) as its added to the price, charge eu at cost and the uk shipping which was on the price to start with ofsets the charges for the extra shipping to eu .

hope this make sence , dave

• 3 months later...

Yeah i agree it is very expensive, especially if you put reserves on you don't be long owing them a fiver on anything thats worth selling. But as said theres no other option, unless your a volume seller and its worth having your own website, and then again its advertising said website to get the views.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived