Temperatures for displaying or storing different model manufacturers .

Good morning,

I don't think this has been discussed on the forum, I cant find any reference to it, but does anyone have any experience or information about how different model manufacturers models are effected by temperature, whilst either in storage or on display? This goes for both the models and the boxes.

I have models inside a cabinet at home and the temperature this morning reads 23 degrees. there are some rare Britains, DBP's, MAP and scratch builds in the cabinet. In the Winter we have a log fire burning which gets the room hot.

I also have an old farm building that has had the walls and ceiling foam sprayed, it has a concrete floor, models in there are in storage boxes at the moment but I need to go through the collection, I'm worried about having models in their boxes 'unprotected', as in not in cabinets in the barn when I go through the collection - a lot of old old Britains etc. After a hot day here yesterday it was 19 degrees in the shed, I have no idea as yet what the temperature will be like in Winter, and when it freezes, the foam spray people say it will be warmer in the shed than it will out. Luckily the barn is bone dry, no damp even in winter, and its pitch black when all the doors are shut to the point that you literally cant see your hand in front of your face, so good from that point of view.

This has been on my mind for some time - we all spend a lot of money on this hobby and I think its important to try and invest in protecting it and preserving it, I for one get so much pleasure form looking at the old Britains pieces, therefore want to look after them as best is can.

Has anyone had any issues with temperature? Either hot or cold, or variations of temperature? And what have the effects / damage been to both model and box? And has anyone noticed any of the different manufacturers models being effected worse than others? I guess some of the newer manufacturers models may not have been round long enough yet to see if material melting could be an issue? Who's to say we wont see UH, Replicagri or Weise deterioration in years to come? Or have they cracked plastics technology now, I hope so!

Archived