Hedgehog

When we moved in, this was in the stables, but was very rusty. A bit of work this morning and we're back to this, and now sharp enough to cut baler twine on bales.

From the markings it's a Cornelius Whitehouse and son of Cannock, 9.5" blade. A bit of googling tells me it has to be pre 1967, expect it's quite a bit older. Hopefully I can find someone to rehandle it. 

IMG_20240502_143505528_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SirTainly said:

When we moved in, this was in the stables, but was very rusty. A bit of work this morning and we're back to this, and now sharp enough to cut baler twine on bales.

From the markings it's a Cornelius Whitehouse and son of Cannock, 9.5" blade. A bit of googling tells me it has to be pre 1967, expect it's quite a bit older. Hopefully I can find someone to rehandle it. 

IMG_20240502_143505528_HDR.jpg

Got a couple similar design tools here, use them for hedgelaying. Called billhooks down here 

there's a local guy I've known for over 50 years takes a lovely mounted display of around a hundred different styles/makers to rural shows here in East Sussex. Used to always take one with me for cutting big thorned branches and stuffing them in hedge gaps to stops sheep getting out rather than put up temporary galvanised netting rolls. Handbills we called them aswell (see forkandles, Two Ronnies sketch, of course). Still got my butcher Grandfather's meat cleaver which is parallel and even heavier.

Posted (edited)

Thanks both, I thought it was usually called a billhook, but like most things it has other local names. I think Hedgehog here is the brand of tools, which was different to the manufacturer. 

Edited by SirTainly
  • Like 1

A old friend of mine died last year , he was a avid collector of anything ( or wouldn't throw anything way )  

In the tool shed there were probably 10 or more of these billhooks , all bar 2 needing  handles . most of them ended   up in the scrap bin I'm afraid