A question for the Irish about the "Fitzwilliam's"

JC

I know that many years ago the "Fitzwilliam's" owned large amounts of land in Ireland, I wondered if any of the Fitzwilliam estate still existed over there?

I guess that you have been watching the 'Who do yo think you are' programme on BBC1 tonight with Graham Norton searching his family tree. Could'nt concentrate on it myself too much as I had a couple of mates turn up but I believe there is still a substantial estate over there and also in the UK belonging to their decendants. Graham Nortons forebears rented some of the land on this estate back in the early 1800's. Look at the TV listings as I think the programme is repeated on BBC2 sometime.

I guess that you have been watching the 'Who do yo think you are' programme on BBC1 tonight with Graham Norton searching his family tree. Could'nt concentrate on it myself too much as I had a couple of mates turn up but I believe there is still a substantial estate over there and also in the UK belonging to their decendants. Graham Nortons forebears rented some of the land on this estate back in the early 1800's. Look at the TV listings as I think the programme is repeated on BBC2 sometime.

Yes I saw that Tim, I live in the midst of the main Fitwilliam estate here in Wentworth, South Yorkshire...... My house was built by the Fitzwilliam's. Almost all the agricultural land around here is owned by the Fitwilliam Wentworth estate, They also own a large estate in Peterbrough and certain parts of Malton to my knowledge. I read somewhere that they owned 80%  :o of Ireland at one stage.