Anfield Acres Dairy Farm

Fendt Fahrer

it has been a long time since I posted in this thread. But here it goes (hopefully I will continue this time)

Today is April 3rd and we are working the fields! In the 33 years since we are in Canada, we have never worked the fields earlier than April 17th (once, the next earliest being april 23rd.)

The ground worked up just like powder, its unbelievable how dry and warm it already is.

post-283-0-54969600-1333498177_thumb.jpg

post-283-0-43362200-1333498187_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Tris, these were Soybean fields last year so no plowing was done. These fields are a bit drier than the plowed fields because of the benefits of the soybean roots. (soybeans are my favorite crop; no fertilizer required if done in a good rotation, good return on the acre, major benefits to soil structure and very minimal tillage required , even in the heaviest clay)

We cultivated about 3 inches deep and there waas very little moisture in the soil. Normalyy at this time of the year wehave water standing in the fields . We also have a river flowing trough our property there is almost no water in it...... things dont look so good at the moment.

All our straw is baled and used for bedding for our animals. I should say that this wheat was seeded at my fathers place who farms 1 mile down the road and has 200 acres of land and a Purebred herd of Simmenthal beef cattle. As he is almost 73 years old I do a lot of the field work on the farm. The MAssey Ferguson 399 that is in front of the seeder is his tractor. The seeder is mine. We have shared equipment ever since I farm my own place. coppled with low dept this enables us to make a living on relativly small farms.

Thanks for your indepth reply, I like to read and learn what our members are up to around the world. Is the dry weather unheard of for you or have there been times in other years where this has happened in your area?

We have every once in a while some dry spells in the summer but we have never had one this early in the year. I remember one month of may were we had only a little rain in the first few days and then none during the rest of the month.

The problem is that this time of the year is where we usually get a lot of rain and it replenishes our groundwater level and wells so that if we hit a dry spell later we can manage to get over it. I really hope that we do not get a lengthy dry spell this year, or we will be in trouble with a lot of wells going dry.....

• 8 months later...