Teignmouth Carnival

BGU

Are you going to Moretonhampstead carnival BGU? Normally quite a few tractors pulling floats. I have 2 tractors pulling floats, one of which I shall be driving (pulling the Prince and Princess this year). Last year there were about 15 tractors, all the people dearly love to see tractors pulling the floats. It's on Thursday 28th August, all the floats congregate in the assembly field from 4.30pm, judging is 5.15 and the prosession starts at 6.30. The Police close the road to traffic at around 6.00 and re-open around 8.30 so anyone going should get parked up in the carpark fields by 6.00 or in one of the towns carparks by 5.30 otherwise no-one gan get near.

Technicly white diesel should be used as the tractors would not be being used for 'soley agricultural purpose'. Early days yet, but in my local carnival, as per previous post, the Police dont worry about that, they love to see tactors pulling floats, especially older tractors, but then, it's the Customs and Exise that are the bods to look out for.

yep there are always where ever you go people trying to ruin our fun

we spend a lot of time and money getting our tractors looking and running nice to preserve them only to be told by the goverment to use white diesel if we drive them on the road to rallys and to tax them as a historic vehicel which is ok but you put a trailer on the back and its has to be taxed as a light goods vehicel which tome seems un fair

i hate to be a killjoy but are you using red or white diesel

Running my D.B. 780 on white diesel and always drive that one myself and is the main tractor I use for this sort of thing and do the local shows with. A mate of mine will be driving my 880 with a float but that one is still on red and I have no intention of changing it over.

yep there are always where ever you go people trying to ruin our fun

we spend a lot of time and money getting our tractors looking and running nice to preserve them only to be told by the goverment to use white diesel if we drive them on the road to rallys and to tax them as a historic vehicel which is ok but you put a trailer on the back and its has to be taxed as a light goods vehicel which tome seems un fair

I have my tractors, the ones I term as vintage or classic, insured as 'agricultural' and on the policy it states that I can use them for carnivals, shows and rallies and 'for pleasure'. Being insured as agricultural avoids any taxation in any other class such as you state, 'light goods' as this comes under the 'agricultural' umbrella. Your insurance company or whoever is is telling you that you that you have to tax it under 'light goods' is telling you porkies as a trailer is seperate and classed as an implement which should come under the agric classification in the policy. In short, if on the registration document of your tractor under 'class' it says 'agricultural machine' or 'agric tractor', no way is it a light goods vehicle and any agricultural machinery that either carries or tows, including a trailer cannot be light goods.