mackies farm, rothienorman

toyboy

can anyone local to oldmeldrum or surrounding area tell me how mackies feed all their housed dairy cattle?

i remember seeing some pics on here from some of the irish lads that were over here on a trip that had visited mackies that they had a silage pit and one of those self propelled diet feeders, now i have travelled past that farm for the last 5 months and looked forward to seeing them cut there silage as i imagined it would be a fair sized operation with all the cattle they have to feed but to my dismay, nothing :o so how on earth do they feed all that cattle, all the fields round the farm seem to be in either rape, barley or wheat, doesn't even seem to be a lot of grass, come to think of it over all the summer i haven't seen one cow outdoors, can anyone shed any light

Toyboy the have 1600 acres about 600 in grass and 900 in cereals which are used for feeding, by the looks of it on there website they make grass silage and wholecrop silage. It also shows a small picture of the feeder. The cows are more than likely kept indoors all year round as they have a robotic parlour.

http://www.kuhn.co.uk/internet/weben.nsf/0/8A59958A2D62B75AC125739C005ADB40?OpenDocument&p=13.8.3.2.1

Here is the khun version no idea what they have though

CJ I take it the cows are housed all year round?

Were you across to see for any specific reason?

yep all year round even when dryed off i think it is an impressive operation 500 cows 300 jersys and 200 holstiens and 9 lely robots milking them

it was my last year of my national diploma so we went away for a week touring around abberdean and down as far as JDC country berwick isnt it  :-\

You would have seen plenty of big operations around Aberdeen area. I thought thery would be in all the time, most up here are when you are talking that number of cows, there is a guy near Nairn that currently has 600 cows and is wanting to extend to 800+ over the next couple of years, he is currently one of Arla's top producers in the UK.

You would have seen plenty of big operations around Aberdeen area. I thought thery would be in all the time, most up here are when you are talking that number of cows, there is a guy near Nairn that currently has 600 cows and is wanting to extend to 800+ over the next couple of years, he is currently one of Arla's top producers in the UK.

yea seen some great outfits we were at a spud grower around aberdeen i forget his name but he had 6/7 fendts and had just trade'd them all in against new ones i think he had 6/700 acres or so here a pic or two from him that is a 40m bethound sprayer as well  :o

Image003.jpg

Image001.jpg

the same here too rob once men get above 250 cows here they seem to switch to keeping them in all year round though there are a few around with 600 that graze them outside

oh well if they do wholecrop i will have to keep my eyes peeled over the next few weeks then ;), whos the guy up near nairn thats planning the 800 head operation rob, is it a farm this side of nairn on the right hand side as you're headin for inverness?

No idea where he is toyboy he bought several cattle last year at the Mayne herd dispersal in elgin. He was saying that the only way to survive was to grow. There are a couple big farms on the back road from nairn to cawdor and the big farm just after Brodie so could be there.