WORKING DAY OF NUFFIELD & LEYLAND NEAR KIRREMUIR ON SUNDAY 12th OCTOBER 2008

BC

Last weekend at the Scottish National tractor show at Lanark I had my tea on Saturday night with Graham Hill from Newton or Arlie near Kirremuir. Graham is a Nuffield and Leyland tractor collector and has some 30 odd tractors in his collection. He is staging a working day for his Nuffield's and Leyland's from 9am so I plan to be up early and down the road to catch the action. Shame I could not take my DM 4 along but 60 miles each way is a bit far especially with no cab at this time of the year.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds like a good day coming up bill , i done my apprenticeship on leylands and nuffields hold a bit of a soft spot for them two now . :the fitter i was under came to bathgate but sadly i never got there before i was made redundant  :-\ :-\

Well owning a Nuffield DM4 myself I'm really looking forward to this event and hope the weather is favourable. I had an email from a fellow rally goer saying a lot of interest had been show in Graham's event and that a writer chap Bob Weir plans hopes to come along and do an article for some of the magazines. I'll be there armed with camera so I'll try and get some of the action for FTF ;) ;)

Well I arrived at Newtown of Airlie just before 9am this moring as the lorries were arriving and as Graham was getting his own machines out of the shed. Photos are in order of being taken and very little captions since no program so if you have questions just ask and I'll see if I can remember.

First up plant hire firm Jordan's of Fife with a load of 4 Leylands including a recently rebuilt Bray

5476869b.jpg

The load off loaded

60670b59.jpg

aa704da8.jpg

1d8eaeda.jpg

a17389c5.jpg

72d24c1b.jpg

Time for me fly cuppa and a wander into the sheds. Fortunately no need for a Nuffield service vans none of the Nuffy's or Leyland's broke down just one of those "little Grey menance thingys" with a leaking fuel tap / tank ;D ;D

8a0131fe.jpg

4a54279f.jpg

Now a look around the farm and what the farmer had lying around

087da456.jpg

630a3e29.jpg

Now Alex Steele's model M

2b0168b8.jpg

d8ca1893.jpg

Moving on to the field... all lined up and raring to go

0b03c2d4.jpg

63b1f272.jpg

1f7b2cd0.jpg

Even an Old Albion from Ross Yeaman arrived to take in about some implements

03e87ca7.jpg

A Nuffy at last

f718b977.jpg

And back to some of Graham's Leylands

First up "JESS" with continental cab

c5efe733.jpg

Another rather rare Leyland believed to be the only one of its kind around again owned by Graham.

963aad19.jpg

89c0cb15.jpg

A little Nuffy

18eb30e7.jpg

Dave Wallace actually using his prize winning Lanark Marshall

01e093c0.jpg

7d9e429d.jpg

Another Leyland from Graham

b8845225.jpg

yep, the 285 & 2100 are 6 cylinders with exhausts up the nearside rear cab pillar. I'm looking forward to seeing Charnley's recently-completed restored Bray 470 at the Newark show (well, I think it's gonna be there?)

Thanks for the pics Bill. I took a load at The National Ploughing Match yesterday at Marden ,Kent. I'll send a few for Markie to post up.